Absurd Conclusions

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington 30.06
right in my doorway. I left 6 shells beside it, then left it alone
and went about my business. While I was gone, the mailman delivered my
mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near the front of our house.

After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting there,
right where I had left it. It hadn't
moved itself outside. It certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had been presented to do so. In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself.

Well you can imagine my surprise, with all the media hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people.

Either the media is wrong or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in
the world.

The United States is 3rd in Murders throughout the World. But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the bottom for Murders. These 4 Cities also have
the toughest Gun Control Laws in the United States. All 4 are
controlled by Democrats.

It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data – right?

Well, I'm off to check on my spoons. I hear they're making people fat.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL @ Dave...excellent

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am beginning to believe some of us that grew up in the 50s & 60s must have lived in a time with unicorns and magical things. No one got shot a school or mass murders did not exist. We went to school pledged allegiance to the flag said the Lord's Prayer or something similar at sporting events. It sure has changed for the worst.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am beginning to believe some of us that grew up in the 50s & 60s must have lived in a time with unicorns and magical things. No one got shot a school or mass murders did not exist. We went to school pledged allegiance to the flag said the Lord's Prayer or something similar at sporting events. It sure has changed for the worst.

They destroyed the family or at least a lot of them.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
They destroyed the family or at least a lot of them.

You nailed it. The family unit is gone. Kids are detached from reality, blame others for their issues, don't have a moral foundation (family), and don't value life.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
legal drugs, gay rights, 50% of Americans are takers and not givers...I think this is now Rome fell? I am ready for a Military/Patriot Coup!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Family life is shot, but due to many things, no discipline being one of them. If you spank your child in the butt, someone will call the cops on you.

Maybe we need to be like Switzerland and require mandatory military service.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave I have always said that!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
In the mid seventies I took my shotgun to school with me so I could go straight to the dove fields that afternoon. I never even thought about hurting someone with it. We all carried knives and no one got stabbed or cut. (on purpose that is). We settled our problems by talking it out or a fist fight if that didn't work. This society now does not gave a crap.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Remember the gun rack in the back window of pickups back then? Always a shotgun and 22, at school, stores,driving around, local soda joint, hunting...everywhere!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

It was a magical time, but not because those things didn't exist, but because news coverage was so poor, slow, and there was no internet. Some matters simply were not discussed in polite company.

The 1950s saw at least 21 shootings at schools in the US. Remember the US population was quite a bit lower then as well.
The 1960s saw at least 16 non-police school schools including Charlie Whitman's 1966 incident where he wounded 31 and killed another 17.

Mass murders? Several not including most domestic mass murders, but including serial killers. For example, Starkweather and Fugate, Eric Pearson, Boston Strangler, Donald Henry Gaskins (caught in the 80s but started in the 50s), Vaughn Greenwood, Nannie Doss, Edmund Kemper, Kenneth McDuff, Richard Biegenwald, Marie Noe, Joseph "Mad Dog" Taborsky, Cincinnati Strangler, Mack Rae Edwards, Lemuel Smith, Zodiac Killer, Melvin Rees, Waneta Hoyt, Janie Lou Gibbs, Tony Costa, Richard Kuklinski, Richard Speck, and others. All these folks were operating in the 50s and or 60s and these are just some of the ones that were caught.

Also keep in mind that a LOT of crime didn't get solved in the 50s and 60s. Methods for linking murders from different jurisdictions was difficult. A LOT of domestic violence was not reported them for various reasons including folks considering the matter more of shame than a legal issue. A lot of rape didn't get reported for that reason as well.

So while we like to remember how everything was better in the past, it is important to understand some of the reasons why we think things were better in the past. Lack of information and selective memory at the individual and societal level go a long way to making the past seem so much better.

Keep in mind that mass killings make up less than 1% of the total number of murders committed. They get a lot of air time on TV, what one analyst referred to as spectacular mass murder (typically public venue/work/school with seemingly random shooting)

Overall, if you look at today's murder rates, we are actually back down to the murder rates of the 1960s and in latter 1950s http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0873729.html

despite having a population that has more than doubled since 1950. https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=225439#rows:id=1

Do we have more school shootings that we used to have? Sure, but we also have more schools than we used to have with over 136,000 schools NOT including technical schools.

Last edited:

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you know for an old bald guy with a beard you are pretty sharp. You have this down very accurately. It did happen, and many were every bit as gruesome as they are today.

The internet has changed everything and will continue to as technology keeps on trucking along.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been saying that for years, that if you didn't read the newspaper, you probably never heard of most of those things. If you didn't hear of it, then in your world, it didn't happen. Brian, for a sharp guy, you sure know a lot about mass killers. :confused: I may want to keep my distance at the meet and greet.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. :)

People really haven't changed. There are good people and bad people. Society may change and our perceptions about society may change, but people will always be people.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Brian for put it perspective. In school back in the day we settled with a punch in the nose not a shot in the head.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
take away the spoons and just fork 'em