A little dumb luck never hurts...

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So we are nearing the end of deer season here, and I have been pushing the brush with no luck all season. One little buck is all I have seen, and I have seen him so much he has earned a nick name that is not safe for sensitive ears. Lol.
Last night I decided to hog hunt instead, freezer is getting a bit low, and I have a sausage recipe I want to try. Lol
Well its currently grape harvest, so the hogs are raping the vineyards. Not much else for them to eat right now thanks to the drought. So knowing where they were heading, I picked a good spot to watch the feeder canyons where the hogs would travel through and sat down to wait.
2 tarantula, a gopher snake, 2 does, and 2 football sized piglets later, the sun was set and light was short I decided to go back to the truck. I hike off the mountain side and all the way back down to the truck. I tossed the *** 223 in the seat and stepped to the back of the truck to take a leak before driving home. I unzipped and looked out at the countryside (i like a view, what can i say?), 75yds away I can a eyeball and an ear staring at me from behind a tree. It never fails, something always shows up mid-pee! Not sure what it was standing out there, I take my time and finish up, grab the gun off the seat and lean on the back of the cab.
I'll be damned if I can't make out a snout!
A 62gr ttsx at 3250fps hit him an inch behind and and inch below the ear. DRT. No kicking or twitching.
Cool.
I hopped in the truck, drove around the fence and copse of trees, and stopped. Oh boy. He's a bit bigger than I expected. Having a freshly fused neck, fake shoulder, and a buggered lower back, I don't like lifting heavy things and he qualified!
Got lucky there was a good deep ditch near by, so I tied him to the bumper and drug him to the edge of the ditch, pulled the truck into the ditch and rolled him into the bed. No lifting!

Scale puts him between 260&265lbs.
IMG_20140913_210216466_zpsbe1a1230.jpg

Loin and bacon slab
IMG_20140914_114834804_zpsb0c6e6d8.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, "scent calling" strikes again. Nice work, and improvisation.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Every time I pee during a hunt that happens. Last time I was peeing off a 12' tower to the ground and I will be damned if 4 deer don't walk into the plot.. after I was through, zipped, turned around from hanging out the door and sat down again, they were still there...go figure

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Every time I pee during a hunt that happens. Last time I was peeing off a 12' tower to the ground and I will be damned if 4 deer don't walk into the plot.. after I was through, zipped, turned around from hanging out the door and sat down again, they were still there...go figure
That's happened mite times than I can count. During the rut I've begun peeing on feeder legs and any scrapes near a shooting lane to try to get deer to come in and it has actually worked more often than not...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll be darned, will try it this season then

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll be darned, will try it this season then

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The hunt is never over until you are off property, lol. Nice job!
Or run out of bullets... or, forget the key to your bow case, or bring the wrong caliber shells for the rifle brought. I've seen all three happen, only one of those was me though. I ain't 'fessing up which one... but, sure was glad I'd brought a rifle too. LOL

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well if you forget the key to your bow case or bring the wrong caliber bullets, then I guess your hunt never really started. As for running out of bullets, did you run out of knife as well? :D

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Running out of knife is one thing I've never been accused of. There's usually half a dozen knives of varied size, and at least one sharpener within reach.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well with a knife you CAN open a bow case! or a paperclip

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
rough crowd this morning

perfect

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... the guy that grabbed the wrong shells, and (another trip) forgot his shells... there was always something to overcome along the way, generally, mechanical failures. I had to take some emery cloth, solvent, and oil to his gun once. We were in the bush (Alaska), his bolt action rifle was rusting badly, had never been cleaned... working the bolt required physical exertion. LOL "Gunsmithing" around the campfire (so to speak).

He was good at getting us on the animals, and was a lot of fun to hunt with, and hang out with. He will be missed, he (years later) vanished beneath the sea ice on a seal hunt (along with another).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What a downer RD, RIP

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The hunt is never over until you are off property, lol. Nice job!
Well since I live on the property, that gives me a reason to hunt all the time right?? Can you explain that to Mrs. Aspp for me???? lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah, that is the right thing to do!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well since I live on the property, that gives me a reason to hunt all the time right?? Can you explain that to Mrs. Aspp for me???? lol
No hunt, no eat. Simple enough?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LOL... the guy that grabbed the wrong shells, and (another trip) forgot his shells... there was always something to overcome along the way, generally, mechanical failures. I had to take some emery cloth, solvent, and oil to his gun once. We were in the bush (Alaska), his bolt action rifle was rusting badly, had never been cleaned... working the bolt required physical exertion. LOL "Gunsmithing" around the campfire (so to speak).

He was good at getting us on the animals, and was a lot of fun to hunt with, and hang out with. He will be missed, he (years later) vanished beneath the sea ice on a seal hunt (along with another).
I had a friend like that. He was a walking disaster area and usually the people around him were the ones on the short end of the stick. He was so much fun to be around (as long as you kept your eye out) you couldn't help like him. He too is no longer with us, but some of my favorite memories of hunting are with him.