A Crazy thing Happened Today

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i am working on reload 300 pieces of 6.8 brass mostly SSA I got 4 years ago. So I am priming with my RCBS hand primer like I have for many years and I had a primer detonation in the house. I practice good Saftey rules wear eye protection and always point the brass away from me. When it went off on a piece of SSA brass lets just say to was a major event. Holly cow does not cover it! I finished the last 30 pieces extremely nervous.
Damn it scared me the wife and the dog. Anyone ever had that happen.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have not had that happen yet. Hope never. Would scare the crap out of me. I use the RCBS hand primer as well

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well now don't you feel more alive than ever???

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got shorts?

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nope never had it happen. Hope I never do. Guess you won't be needing a stress test anytime soon.

Any idea what caused it to go off? Was it upside down, sideways, primer hole damaged or dirty or possibly obstructed with polishing media? Did you notice any difference in pressure seating the primer? Not familiar with the RCBS, I use a Lee hand primer, or Progressive press.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow never had that happen Im glad you came out unhurt!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Never had that happen but....killed a big cockroach on the sink this morning with a fly swatter and must have swung too hard...I have cockroach in the eye, in my hair and face, glad I wasn't smiling. Cattle were running, children crying, you know...does that count?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Never had that happen but....killed a big cockroach on the sink this morning with a fly swatter and must have swung too hard...I have cockroach in the eye, in my hair and face, glad I wasn't smiling. Cattle were running, children crying, you know...does that count?
NO.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang it!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nope never had it happen. Hope I never do. Guess you won't be needing a stress test anytime soon.

Any idea what caused it to go off? Was it upside down, sideways, primer hole damaged or dirty or possibly obstructed with polishing media? Did you notice any difference in pressure seating the primer? Not familiar with the RCBS, I use a Lee hand primer, or Progressive press.
It was is straight had a little more pressure to insert but not by much. Might have been a touch off center I think that pocket in the SSA brass a tick small. It had been reamed and I had loaded once so bad primer maybe.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
I have always had that in the back of my mind when seating primers, how loud would it be and would crap fly?
:)

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have had one go off when I was unloading 454 casull rounds. I had a couple hundred rounds I got from someone and he wasnt sure of the primers in it. I had found that magnum primers just didn't work well in the casull so I decided to pull everything. It is a bad thing when they go off inside the decapping die. Works like a piston in a motor. I had to stop for about an hour and regain composure.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Only had it happen on a old Dillon press. Blew the whole stack of primers straight up out of the tube and made a hole in the ceiling. This was at the PD range on their equipment. You should have seen all the guys ducking for cover and pulling weapons while I stood there with a shocked/dumb look on my face.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
one of those two loudest sounds...........

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I,am thinking the sound is a round going click while gun is trained on a bad guy. For,me the primers was loud but not that loud