A couple firsts for me

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Went out to my place to sit at a feeder about 5 pm yesterday. Hogs have been showing up sporadically around 7:30 am and pm. A lone boar (130# or so) trotted up to the feeder about 5:20 and he took a 150 grain SST from my PA10 in the brainpan. Dirt dance time. Buzzards must be starting to key in on gunfire as the feeding bell, ‘cause they started showing up in just a couple minutes. Sitting a bit and went back to reading, looked up and a slightly larger boar (150 ish) is coming out of the brush like 10 minutes after shooting the first one. Didn’t think I’d have much time to get a shot at this one with a dead hog laying there, but he started feeding right beside him. First time I have seen that. Broadside shot took him down. Picture is how they fell or at least finished the dirt dance. Moved them over about 50 yards so maybe the morning group of 30 in a selection of sizes could come in.

This morning I got to the gate about 4:45 am. Drove thru the gate and got out to close it and stepped in a very fresh and slick cow patty. Left foot takes off and now I’m dancin’ while trying to not fall down. After getting that under control and cleaned up a bit I got to the feeder again. No new hogs this morning, but something drug the smaller hog about 20 yards from where I left him overnight. A doe came up and fed all under the feeder and wasn’t bothered by the leftover blood and dead hog scent.

Cousin’s bull decided to love on my truck a bit and was trying to write or draw a message on the hood. Chased him off 3 times – last time fired pistol into the ground to get his attention. Cousin offered to pay for repairs.

Leaving the place after some mowing, I get caught in a traffic jam of people turning into Splashway Waterpark. First traffic jam I’ve seen in this little town.

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So sweet seeing them sleeping together like that. Good going.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like the streets of downtown Seattle during a protest. Good effort there, yer Pootieness.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats! I don't think it's too uncommon for a deer or hog to walk up on another dead deer or hog and ignore it and keep feeding.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like fun! Coyotes drag hogs off...even big hogs, have quite a few pics of that on game cameras.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice going. Coyotes gotta eat, too.