A 9mm Takeover?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I found this very interesting. I noted in the comments the TX DPS is going from the 357sig to the 9mm. I can see the reason, I probably put more rds on target w the 9mm than any other larger caliber. I am not the "Frank" in the comment section.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/a-9mm-takeover/28095/

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gotta love an internet article where the author poopoos internet articles and internet authors. Yep, a lot of stuff on the 'net is recycled and Spaulding does the exact same thing. He hasn't reported anything new. In fact, various 9mm rounds have had comparable wound performance to .45 acp for years now.

Spaulding doesn't even get the insurance quote correct about the internet.
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7VOE/state-farm-the-internet-and-french-model

Of course Spaulding's insights aren't original. He is spreading ideas he heard from some unnamed sources. He offers no original insights.

I appreciate that he has been a proponent of the 9mm for is accuracy and ease of use. I didn't realize that the other calibers were so inaccurate, LOL.

I like my 9mms just fine and like my .45s just fine as well.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do like my SA EMP micro for a carry gun. I like it's 1911 feel. But my head tells me I should carry my 45 bobtail.

PS never hope I have to use it.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What bullets in the 9mm function as well as a 45? I had a Ruger P85 long long ago, hunted with it twice. I couldn't get the HPs (Remmington Gold Sabers I think...) to punch through a hogs skull for a finishing shot. They weren't worth a squat on raccoons or jackrabbits either. I remember trying a couple different rounds, with no favorable impression made by the gun or ammo.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you can't get 9mm through a hog skull or to work well on rabbits or raccoons, I don't think it is the ammo.

Note that Spaulding's comments were in regard to self defense shooting of 2 legged animals.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Glocks in 9mm certainly work for kill shots, 124gr and 147gr do very well

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm going to convert my Glock .40 into a 9 mm to shoot 147gr subs when I get the suppressor in.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you can't get 9mm through a hog skull or to work well on rabbits or raccoons, I don't think it is the ammo.

Note that Spaulding's comments were in regard to self defense shooting of 2 legged animals.
This was about 12 years ago, the pistol was not accurate at all, I am not a great shot with one so that didn't help either, and when I got lucky and hit what I was trying for, the performance just was not there. I picked up my 357 shortly after dumping that P85 and it has been the cats meow. 157hps kill things! I have a Glock 21 gen 4 in 45acp that I am messing with now, got it from a forum member here actually! I like it, but it is very different than the S&W686 I have been shooting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Something about my 33rd mags in a Glock 19, 9mm all over the damn place...LOL

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometimes I wish that I did not sell my colt 357 snub nose.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The magic ---> I remember back in the day that several came up with the #1 man stopper load of all time. Hatcher and several others concluded that the .357Mag shooting a 125gr @ 1450 was .....uhhh...."the best". There was tons of info(right or wrong)floating around to "prove" this chambering(not caliber)or that chambering was the Holy Grail of the SD loads.

Me....I carried a 45ACP at the time and didn't give it a second thought. To me it was all in the training. Jeff Cooper spoke of the "spray and pray" mentality. To a degree I believe that he was correct. A well aimed shot is far better than simply aiming in the direction and letting loose a volley. Take a look at the shootings that involve LEO's in recent years. Three LEO's fire a total of 22 shots and the perp is hit once in the leg. Look at the vids on the internet. LEO's shooting at a perp or perps at a distance of <20feet and they fail to put a single shot on target. This,after slinging 10-20 shots at the BG.

IMO part of the problem also is trainability. Good example is the FBI not going with the 10mm and the invent of the 40S&W(Short and Weak). There are several different chamberings that are above and beyond the 9mm. BUT......if you put two quick hits COM in a perp with a 9mm and one with a 45ACP,which will end the fight faster and possibly save your life ?? Same with my choice of a carry chambering,the 357Sig.

We all have our preferences. We all train to a different level. Some of us know how we would react during a shooting,some do not(no matter the training). Hopefully we all make the right decisions to save our lives and the life of our families.

"Let's all stay safe out there". --- pruhdlr