a 308 guy maybe leaning on 6.8

Discussion in '6.8SPC' started by 437, Jan 16, 2018.

1. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Long story short I have nothing against another caliber, but 308 has served an old dog flawlessly so why change was my thinking. Doubles as deer hammer too just simplified life one gun one ammo done. Alas a change is coming I'm pulling the plug on the hunting lease it's a shame, but a waste of money at the current level of resource harvesting next season we will have 15 guys fighting over a tiny parcel of good woods that are left. So my deer hunting will be a trip to IN and SC a few times a year to hunt friends land and grab some meat.

Having held Myron Morrow's 6.8 last weekend I was blown away at the diet an AR can go on. I've got AR15 lowers.....so maybe this comes into my realm as I'm going full tilt on marketing myself in and around the gulf coast of FL for thermal hog/yote killing. I'd love a lighter rifle. My 308AR is 7 lb 14 oz with an empty mag no glass. I dunno if Myrons loaded rifle weighed that much with thermal on it!

I am not/will not reload so I'm gonna need factory ammo. Seems as if it's out there, but definitely not in the endless flavors of 308. what else do I need to consider if I'm going to make this switch? Deer have gone from priority to after though as I know I can always hit a couple of other places and get meat.

Thanks 6.8ers

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

Diet, eh? There's a guy on 68forums (calls himself Breaststroker) who is really into building a LIGHT AR. He's gotten them down to less than 4# (gun, NOT trigger pull). So, yes, a light weight 6.8 is VERY doable.

3. 437

437 LSB Active Member

well i do have limits it's not a truck full of endless $, but if I can drop a pound or two w/o going insane i'd likely look at that. what does a garden variety stock 6.8 rig/no ammo/no glass weigh? gotta be a solid pound or two less than my 308 i'd think?

4. hdfireman

hdfireman Blackstone Arms SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter Vendor

I'll have you some weights this afternoon on 16" 6.8 rifles. I have a couple to ship out and I'll put them on my test lower and weight them.

5. 437

437 LSB Active Member

that would be great thanks

6. hdfireman

I went ahead and did it this morning. The lower is standard forged and has a mil-spec LPK in it. The grip and stock are Magpul MOE. The upper is a 16" Scout with a Troy 11" alpha hand guard(not the lightest but not heavy). It weighted 6 lbs 5 oz. The rails that are removable on the Troy were just over 2 oz so I'd say bare bones 6 lbs 2 oz.

The thing to think about also is ammo weight, 20 rds of 6.8 is almost half the weight of 20 rds of .308

7. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

you will lose a couple of pounds and about 30% killing power and today you can almost get a 308 down to 6.8 weights. Ask Todd, he is a big 6.8 fan and mainly uses the 7.62x39 or 308 at this time. I am a huge 6.8 fan and have 4 of them and would trade up for a lightweight 308 too.

8. hdfireman

I don't think you can get them that close. Just in the BCG and buffer, thats what I had as far as parts to weigh the .308 is 9.6 oz heavier. Average 16" barrel is going to be 8.5 oz heavier in a .308. Thats over a pound already. I think they are about 2 lbs apart maybe just a little less. 308 ammo is 2 oz heavier for every 10 rounds.

9. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

yeah 6.8lbs is the lightest 308 I have seen but the killing power is superior, put thermal and a can on one and use a tripod to shoot most will not notice much of a difference, you young guys are strong!

ScottJ likes this.
  10. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Interesting …

I periodically consider acquiring a 6.8 upper, but so far I've just continued to schlep my AR-10 around.
    The truth is that I hate change as much as anyone I know. o_O

Jhop likes this.
  11. 437

437 LSB Active Member

dude i'm the same way trust me. it's why i have not left 308 it's never failed me. that said sometimes change can be good....do you run a suppressor on yours? if so what make/model? thx

even if i stick with 308 i still may go to a 16" barrel, shorter handguard and regular flash hider

12. der Teufel

I'm running a home built suppressor (sent the forms in to BATFE & constructed the baffles myself from freeze plugs) but I haven't got it all sorted out yet. Point of impact sometimes changes so I'm really not using it a lot yet.

ScottJ likes this.
  13. FrankT

I have 4 6.8's so you can use one and see?? I might even sell one but it would be hard to decide which one. The one I have in a 8.5" pistol configuration is deadly to 150yds,maybe further just never needed to shoot further.

14. der Teufel

If I acquired another suppressor I'd need another stamp. It wouldn't matter whether I built or purchased, every suppressor requires a stamp. Each stamp is associated with a suppressor serial number.
    The noise reduction is actually pretty good. Several folks have commented that it does a good job on my 300 BLK, but they're really impressed with the job it does on the AR-10. As mentioned, the problem is that it affects accuracy. It's okay when I put it on, but after bouncing around in the truck the point of impact often shifts significantly. I'm not getting baffle strikes, and my next step will be to just tighten everything up, shoot, tighten, repeat. I'll get it working eventually, it's just a little more of an effort than I anticipated. OTOH, that's part of the fun. More shooting!

15. Bryanb07

Bryanb07 New Member

I'm currently deciding between a s&w m&p 10 and building a 6.8 with a lwrc upper lower set I can get my hands on. I have about 900 rounds of 308 already, plan on using a suppressor and don't plan on shooting past 200 to 250. I own several and built several AR's so building isn't an issue. Any helpful ideas to help me decide?

16. FrankT

well the LWRC is going to make you as heavy as a 308 and their barrel is OK and worthy but certainly not the best. IF I was starting over today I would be into a 7 lb or so 308 to add all the gear on, I might still have a 6.8 for deer and varmints but the 308 would be my goto hog gun. Saying that the 6.8 has never failed me to bring hogs down.

17. Bryanb07

Bryanb07 New Member

I see. So even if the lwrc upper lower set I'll have that's stripped will be the same weight? See I'd be building it from scratch with maybe an ************** or Wilson combat barrel.

18. FrankT

I am sure if you have the stripped upper and lower now you can manage a lighter weight build that will be a good one for you

19. Bryanb07

Bryanb07 New Member

The main reason for looking into the 68 is for lower recoil for faster follow up shots. I'm not sure if it's that big of a difference or not. Also, is the 68 that you know of, going to be around for a while? The ammo availability worries me.

20. FrankT

6.8 Ammo all over, PSA had on sale for $7.99 a box, 6.8 will always be there, no worries

ScottJ likes this.