9mm whopper!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
All I had was my 9 mm which I have equipped with my Flir PTS233 for close range action or as Brian put it, a barn yard gun.

I saw some fresh rooting around our flooded cornfield and decided to go have a look around 930 the other night and saw these two.

I had a buddy riding with me and was in the process of handing him my breach helmet so he could watch while I set up to shoot and I guess the commotion at 40 yards got their attention and they started to move away.

I had hoped to wait the biggest one out for a solid neck shot thinking I could drop him and then start putting holes in the other one before it ran out of range. Unfortunately it didn’t work out quite as I planned but I did get this gigantic hog which missed breaking my personal best record by 1 inch.

This one tape measured at 55 inches. My biggest from a couple years ago was 56 inches. The folded pocket knife in that photo measures 5 inches for scale.

421643D3-CD3C-453E-900E-B31968DCE81B.jpeg

I’m sorry for the iPhone through-the-scope video capture, but I’ve been without a computer to plug the scope into.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's pretty cool, being able to see those 9mm pills flying to their target like that. Nice hog, congrats on downing that beast.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a big pig!! And with a 9!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice!
That's indeed a big ol' pig!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That’s a big ol’ fat hog there! Congratulations on getting him out of the gene pool! Good shooting!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks guys. I have had a lot of fun shooting hogs with my 9mm.

I always carry it for Coons, armadillos and other assorted varmints but recently started looking for the single hog as a way to make it more exciting.

Ever since I got my breach helmet mount and could watch them as I approach it’s been very fun to see just how close I can get to a lone hog and execute him with that quiet rifle.

Farthest I’ve ever dropped one with a neck shot using my 9 mm was about 75 or 80 yards and it was across a ditch and I just couldn’t get any closer, but normally I would like to walk up as close as I can stand it.

When they’re in the wide open that’s usually about 40 yards before I just can’t take it anymore.

I have seen them in the woods before and shot them at about 15 yards away but most of the time I didn’t even know they were there until I saw them first at about 30 yards.

Stumbling on top of one like that is not quite the same as carefully and methodically approaching one in a wide open field knowing he could bolt at any second.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good lord that's a big ole pig!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It would appear that 9mm ammo has indeed come a LONG way since the days when many of us old-school LEOs dumped our 9s, due to all of the horror stories of LEOs emptying mags into drug crazed fools and they just kept coming. The newer bullet technology appears to've taken care of that concern.

I've been enjoying the lighter heft on my hip after getting another 9mm. Have I dumped my .45s? NO!!! LOL I love options!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What bullets are you shooting in the 9 mm and is that a pistol length or 16”?

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Subsonic 147 grain “zero” brand jacket at hollowpoint reloads.

I found a bullet under the hide on a different animal one time and cut it out to discover the lead slug was mostly intact, the jacket was completely shed and the only expansion that occurred was the hollow point tip was flattened a little bit.

I may still have that bullet floating around somewhere and will post a pic if I find it. Not very impressive but what it means to me is the bullet penetrates very deeply. Perfect for piercing lungs or breaking neckbones.

The rifle is an 8 inch SBR.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Seems like a pretty deadly combo. I would love to have a 10mm SBR, but I just don't want to go the SBR route with the extra cost.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So I forgot to post this a month or so ago but I went back and found the skull from this giant hog I shot back in January.

The inside edge of the lower teeth are like razor blades.

It’s almost completely consumed by larvae.

6DE8F196-5878-4F95-8519-93D955CD9F79.jpeg