8 Hogs Down, Standing, Walking, Running, Head and Long Shots

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of my properties closed off to me for deer season came open yesterday after the hunters filled their tags. Apparently, they were not hunting hogs there the last few weeks and I got into two sounders during the night.

I ran into another sounder on one of my favorite properties. It is a cattle operation and the whole property has a park-like appearance. The only problem is that they have some pretty substantial fencing, LOL. Depending on where you catch the hogs can put them in the clear or well protected behind fencing you don't want to damage...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll bet it felt good to get back into the saddle and terrorize some sounders. And, what a good feeling to be taking active factories out of the picture too. Nice work. I can see you're liking that 90 grain pill, it's working well for ya.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ratdog, I have seen several times, now, that when I have encountered sounders without any piglets that there is a high percentage of pregnant sows. I don't know that the pattern really means anything other than if they don't have piglets, there are going to be some piglets in the near future. Now, just not as many. :D

Yes, it did feel good!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting! And a good video! Yeah that 90 gr. bullet likes those hogs.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You're getting the New Year started with a real BANG!
Nice shooting all around. That hog you shot through the open gate reminded me of the Chinese saying "The nail that stands up, gets hammered down."

Keep After 'Em!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, der Teufel, the hogs that preceded it were in defilade and so that little boar offered the best shot opportunity given my small shooting window, er, gate. He got hammered alright!

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
Awesome work again Brian. You provide me with motivation!

Although, I must admit that I will not rack up nearly the count as you do. At least I hope not (I only hunt our ranch)!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video Brian! Do you like those 90 grain bullets over the ol faithful SSTs

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
blakester, yes, actually I do. The reason being is that they are plenty effective inside of 200 yards. They actually seem pretty effective for the few times I have shot them beyond 200, but most of my shooting is inside 200. By effective, I mean that they expand violently and do a lot of damage and do it better than SSTs. They shoot flatter as well. When the overpenetrate, it tends to be as a spray of fragments. The only 2 times I have recovered more than just a flat base or itty bitty fragments is when I hit the humerus and the bullet collapsed on itself, flatting and expanding (some) and then just acted like a slug.

If you reload, you are good to go. If you are like me and only shoot factory ammo, I won't be able to get any more until April (supposedly).

With that said, I like SST just fine. I just like the TNT a little more.