7.62x39 vs 6.8

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I found they are about the same in 100yds or so maybe 150. The 6.8 is more accurate for precision shots but the x39 is a good hog round. Both bullets are Hornady, the 6.8 brass the x39 steel cased seemed to be the same power and characteristics

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 6.8 has more velocity and energy than the 7.62x39 and the farther down range you get the larger the spread gets. Not to mention the 6.8 is also more accurate.

Mel Glass

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have been shooting a 7.62x39 and have been finding the same thing on distance shots. Was wondering if it was just me. Going to put together a 6.8 to replace the one I got rid of a few years ago but was wanting to make sure I am going in the right direction. Alot of my shots are 150-170 and the wounds get very narrow as ranges extend. It seems to work good on the smaller hogs 10-120lb but the bigger pigs can soak the up and keep going. Did get a 283 last night at 140yrds but still ran 100 or so yards into the clearcut. Lucky got some blood.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
IIRC at 200 yards the 6.8 has roughly 200 FPS and 200 ft lbs over the x39. If you are looking to purchase an upper take a look at my website.

Mel Glass

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks will check it out for future builds but have a 12.5 barrel at the house and an 18 inch on the way. Both *** barrels.Trying to keep from rigging out my G2. I like the lite AR15 builds better.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OH and welcome to the forum Mel!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks will check it out for future builds but have a 12.5 barrel at the house and an 18 inch on the way. Both *** barrels.Trying to keep from rigging out my G2. I like the lite AR15 builds better.
Mel,

Don't build the 12.5 for any distance. You loose way to much velocity with the short barrel vs the longer on. If I was hunting your area I would stick with the 18 inch.

Mel Glass

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's why I got the 18. I will put my harvester or Omega and it will be used for day hunting. The 12.5 should outperform the 7.62 with the speeds I have been seeing people get.I will be putting my spec war on it and thermal when I get one.