640 vs 336

Wayne

LSB Member
Being the owner of a Zeus 336 and wanting to upgrade I have a question that someone with much more knowledge than myself could answer..most or all of the 640 scopes that I could afford have low magnification 1.5/1.6..with my Zeus I generally have to go to 2× to shoot which is 5.2 so my question is; would I be better of or at least as good by going with a 336 scope with a 4-5 native mag because that's where I'm going generally or is the magnification increase better in some way on the 640 scope that would make it better than the 336? Thanks in advance

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Magnification is magnification no matter if it is a 640 or 336 resolution. Lets say you have a 336 scope with 3x magnification and a 640 scope with 1.5x mag. If you zoom the 640 to 2x it would now technically be 3x magnification but 320(336) resolution. That being said it won't look as good as the scope not using zoom. Just remember the zoom magnifies in on the pixels and basically giving you the next step down in resolution therefor degrading your image

Wayne

LSB Member
Magnification is magnification no matter if it is a 640 or 336 resolution. Lets say you have a 336 scope with 3x magnification and a 640 scope with 1.5x mag. If you zoom the 640 to 2x it would now technically be 3x magnification but 320(336) resolution. That being said it won't look as good as the scope not using zoom. Just remember the zoom magnifies in on the pixels and basically giving you the next step down in resolution therefor degrading your image
Ok just so I understand..a 336 scope at 5 power native magnification would look better than a 640 2.5 zoomed to 5 power? One other question if you know..would a 384 look better than a 336 to the naked eye?

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don’t know about core differences since mine are all 640 but I did switch to a higher optical mag for the same reasons you stated. I went from 2.5 to 4.5 optical and other than the smaller FOV I am super happy. I can see my targets so much better. The FOV sucks at first till u get used to it or get an handheld scanner

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok just so I understand..a 336 scope at 5 power native magnification would look better than a 640 2.5 zoomed to 5 power? One other question if you know..would a 384 look better than a 336 to the naked eye?
In theory but I'm not sure if the 320,336, 384 numbers are correct, marketing or they make up that little bit with better screens or software.

Wayne

LSB Member
Don’t know about core differences since mine are all 640 but I did switch to a higher optical mag for the same reasons you stated. I went from 2.5 to 4.5 optical and other than the smaller FOV I am super happy. I can see my targets so much better. The FOV sucks at first till u get used to it or get an handheld scanner
OK thank you..