6 Hunts, 12 Hogs, 2 Raccoons, and a Long Night

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Friday night turned out to be a dusk to dawn hunt that was not at all as expected. We were supposed to go out with a new landowner who had invited us to come take care of his hog problems and he came down sick at the last moment. In the mean time, one of Dave's other landowners reported hogs being back and so we hunted his regular properties. We started off staging ourselves on a spot where we could watch part of one property and see the property across the road with the recent hog issues. Inside of 10 minutes we were off to our first hunt and the whole night continued like that with with very little down time between hunts, lots of stalking, shooting, searching for and collecting the dead, getting some water, and starting over.

The night wasn't without issues. I had a double feed after an administrative mag change that ruined on hunt for me. We had occluded views due to trees and high grass. In one case we had to drag hogs out across a deep ravine. The knee-high grass burrs (stickers) were especially fun and would find their way into unpleasant places when you kneeled down in them. Even so, I haven't had this much fun or worked this hard in a long time.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, that's what's meant by open/empty your mind? Good hunt!

MNBob

LSB Member
Friday night turned out to be a dusk to dawn hunt that was not at all as expected. We were supposed to go out with a new landowner who had invited us to come take care of his hog problems and he came down sick at the last moment. In the mean time, one of Dave's other landowners reported hogs being back and so we hunted his regular properties. We started off staging ourselves on a spot where we could watch part of one property and see the property across the road with the recent hog issues. Inside of 10 minutes we were off to our first hunt and the whole night continued like that with with very little down time between hunts, lots of stalking, shooting, searching for and collecting the dead, getting some water, and starting over.

The night wasn't without issues. I had a double feed after an administrative mag change that ruined on hunt for me. We had occluded views due to trees and high grass. In one case we had to drag hogs out across a deep ravine. The knee-high grass burrs (stickers) were especially fun and would find their way into unpleasant places when you kneeled down in them. Even so, I haven't had this much fun or worked this hard in a long time.

Nice work Brian and Dave

D

djones

now there's a man who's not afraid to pull the trigger. nice graphics on the piglet!

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome job guys. Those long shots paid off big time!