6.8 Build Questions

softballnrd27

I am going to get a barrel/bolt to convert my current 5.56 to 6.8 so I can hunt with it. My question comes down to barrel length 16" or 18". What would be the main selling point in going with 16" vs 18" and vice versa. I currently have a Daniel Defense 14.5" CHF barrel.
Rest of the gun:
Mega Arms Upper and Lower
Geiselle 2 stage trigger
12" ALG Defense handguard
I'm also going to change out the buttstock to an adjustable one just not sure which one yet.
I will get into reloading but for now what ammo do you recommend? Target? Deer? Hogs?
I'm new to building/modding the AR platform so any advice on it is greatly appreciated.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
16" *** barrel has worked great for me.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hornady 120SST works for everything I've shot.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only real gain over a 18" is a slight bump in velocity approx 50-75 fps. That is about it, unless you like the added weight to balance a gun out or something.

I personally run Stag bolts, they are cheaper and work fine for me. As for which barrel maker, there are lots of good options including ***. A few others I have used and been impressed with is Noveske and wilson combat. I have a bison, but for some reason it is a bit picky with my handloads cannot explain why but once I find a good combo it shoot MOA or better.

As for ammo 120 SST is a good all around bullet and is relatively inexpensive in comparison to other offerings. I would keep an eye out for accubonds either 100 or 110 and if you find them buy them, they are my favorite hunting bullet by far. Then the 120 sst is a close second.

Don't forget your mag too. I typically use PRI because they are well built and allow me to load as long as possible 2.300", but then ASC works well too and have had good luck with their mags and can still load long.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
go to *** and get a 16" and a bolt, if you want the 18" for little gain go for it.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have an 18" *** and barrel on mine. My upper was built by Blackstone Arms. It's been a great set-up, however now that I'm shooting suppressed I wish I had gone with a 16 inch barrel. So if you think you'll shoot suppressed sometime in the future go with the 16 inch *** barrel. I hand load and shoot 120SST's out of mine. In fact I'm going hunting tonight with it.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've got all the tools needed with exception of a torque wrench. Send me a PM if you need help. I'm pretty sure I seen at the range on Ft Hood once.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
To convert, you need:
Barrel
Bolt
Muzzle Device
Mags

*** 16" barrel w/Super Bolt, all the way in my book. If you aren't apt to build yourself... get some help from Eric at Blackstone Arms (a vendor here).

softballnrd27

JHOP, I've shot there a few times.
I am mechanically inclined and I'm pretty sure I can handle the building of the gun but I can always use help and tips. I will eventually get the parts together to have 2 separate guns but for now I want the 6.8 before season opens.
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm either going with the *** 16" or Daniel Defense CHF 16" with all the extras needed as well.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I didn't get any pigs but I shot a pair of yotes. 175yards and 150 yards. My 6.8 is plenty accurate.

Russ Wickline

LSB Active Member
I have an *** 12.5 with a Wilson suppressor that I use for hunting. With suppressor it's just over 16". I hunt from building and moving from window to window is easy, I don't have to worry hitting anything with the rifle.

softballnrd27

JHop we met on Hood to try and shoot one day during lunch but soldiers were on the range. I think we talked for about 30-45 mins.