6.8 ammo

Chase

I seen in your videos that you have used Barnes and the Hornady gmx. I am going on a black bear hunt with my 6.8 and narrowed the ammo down to the hornady 100 gmx or a barnes 110 tsx. Which one would be better for black bear?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The super important thing for us to know here is: How will you be hunting the bear ?? At what ranges will you be shooting ?? Thru any light brush ??
Reason that I ask this is becsuse I guided for bear in Maine for 20 years after I retired from the military. We hunted the very open low bush blueberry fields or the very thick spruce/fir thickets. Both were mostly from a ladder stand.The distances were either very long . . OR . . very short.
While I do not endorse going on a black bear hunt with a 6.8,there are some good bullets that would be . . . Ok.
The two that you mentioned above would be ok. I would not suggest the Hornady 120gr SST or any other bullet of poor design(for bear).
At the closer range,I had sports take bear with a 30-30Win,300Savage,and pistols. And this was back when there were no bullets of the solid copper design and not many Nosler Partition's offered.
Let us know how the hunt goes. --- pruhdlr

Chase

The super important thing for us to know here is: How will you be hunting the bear ?? At what ranges will you be shooting ?? Thru any light brush ??
Reason that I ask this is becsuse I guided for bear in Maine for 20 years after I retired from the military. We hunted the very open low bush blueberry fields or the very thick spruce/fir thickets. Both were mostly from a ladder stand.The distances were either very long . . OR . . very short.
While I do not endorse going on a black bear hunt with a 6.8,there are some good bullets that would be . . . Ok.
The two that you mentioned above would be ok. I would not suggest the Hornady 120gr SST or any other bullet of poor design(for bear).
At the closer range,I had sports take bear with a 30-30Win,300Savage,and pistols. And this was back when there were no bullets of the solid copper design and not many Nosler Partition's offered.
Let us know how the hunt goes. --- pruhdlr
Most likely will be spot and stock and 250 yards will be about the max I will shoot if I have to. I don't think I am going to have a problem with the ability to kill the bear but I don't want to use anything like the SST that's why I an looking at the full copper projectile.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
May I please ask . . . where will you be hunting at ?? Will this be a guided hunt ?? ---- pruhdlr

Chase

May I please ask . . . where will you be hunting at ?? Will this be a guided hunt ?? ---- pruhdlr
North Carolina and not guided.

I decided to go with cavity back 120 grain projectile. It's nasty on hogs in the videos I saw

Mattg1500

LSB Member
North Carolina and not guided.

I decided to go with cavity back 120 grain projectile. It's nasty on hogs in the videos I saw
NC has some of the largest black bears in the world. I have yet to complete my 6.8 build but i personally think under powered even with a well placed shot. Last season I went to NJ to hunt bear and shot a 225lb sow at 20yds with a 3" accutip out of my savage 220 and even though you could slip on all the blood it left it still made it 75 80yds into a thick. No death moan. I hope to be wrong on the 6.8 because I am very excited to finish mine. Good luck!

Chase

NC has some of the largest black bears in the world. I have yet to complete my 6.8 build but i personally think under powered even with a well placed shot. Last season I went to NJ to hunt bear and shot a 225lb sow at 20yds with a 3" accutip out of my savage 220 and even though you could slip on all the blood it left it still made it 75 80yds into a thick. No death moan. I hope to be wrong on the 6.8 because I am very excited to finish mine. Good luck!

That sucks man but you will love your 6.8. It is a nice round and with the right ammo it's destroying hogs and watched it drop a black bear in youtYou. I don't think I am going to have any problems with it but I am going with the best projectile everything says is out there for the 6.8.

Mattg1500

LSB Member
That sucks man but you will love your 6.8. It is a nice round and with the right ammo it's destroying hogs and watched it drop a black bear in youtYou. I don't think I am going to have any problems with it but I am going with the best projectile everything says is out there for the 6.8.
I did recover the bear, sorry didnt complete the story, i was just surprised at how far it went with the damage it had. I use an ar10 on hogs and that drops them but its heavier than my 6.8 will be. Good luck again, post some pics of your trophy when you get it!

Chase

I did recover the bear, sorry didnt complete the story, i was just surprised at how far it went with the damage it had. I use an ar10 on hogs and that drops them but its heavier than my 6.8 will be. Good luck again, post some pics of your trophy when you get it!
I hope I get to. Everything we have read there has been a lot of bear killed in that part of the state so fingers crossed. November can't get herr fast enough tho