5 Sows Down

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went back out to my new property with my hunting partner for some social distance hunting. It had rained the night before and was cloudy when we arrived and I gave him the overview of the property. To our amazement, we watched a wall of fog work its way over us as the sun set and the hogs came out. The fog came in so thick that once we located our hogs, our shooting sticks and rifles (standing up) were not visible on thermal (too wet and cooled down) and could not be seen with white light from more than 20 yards.

Apparently, the cattle were social distancing as well because they were spread all over the ranch, making safe shooting difficult. We ended up watching a lot of hogs run away through the cattle.

The most exciting part of the hunt was the opening salvo. My hog went down. My partner's 260 sow took three hits (front chest, side chest, mid body) from him before he could no longer swing left. One of the shots had broken the left front leg before entering the chest, causing the hog to run in an arc that would take it through our position. This hog going down soon, but the only question was whether it would be down before or after running through us. I got it dropped at 30 yards.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Need you a bull-horn: "Attention please, all Bessies move to the left... all Arnolds, please move to the right, stay still and remain calm. I'm here to help." Talk about a nerve-wrecking exercise in trigger discipline ! Nice work fellers.

Big, tough sow! She was a tank. Five happy meal factories shut down, that's gotta feel very good.

At least you weren't sitting in the middle of a soupy swamp when the starter gave up the ghost, tough way to end the night. Good hunt in spite of the set back.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Need you a bull-horn: "Attention please, all Bessies move to the left... all Arnolds, please move to the right, stay still and remain calm. I'm here to help." Talk about a nerve-wrecking exercise in trigger discipline ! Nice work fellers.

Big, tough sow! She was a tank. Five happy meal factories shut down, that's gotta feel very good.

At least you weren't sitting in the middle of a soupy swamp when the starter gave up the ghost, tough way to end the night. Good hunt in spite of the set back.

Yeah, I got lucky on the timing of the failure in that somebody else was there. The starter had given me no trouble previously. It just seized up @ 274677 miles and 13 years of age. Had it been acting up, I might have at least parked it in a more convenient location, LOL.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ugh, can't believe an electo-mechanical device just suddenly died after only a little over a quarter-million miles! :rolleyes:
Nice shooting by the both of you, good job avoiding cattle and taking down a bunch o' hogs.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was a good night of hunting! It could have gotten a little western with that big ol’ sow getting in the middle of things. Sorry about the starter-hope you will be back up and running soon.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some heavy sows down!! Sorry about the truck! Hope it gets fixed up.