5 Down with the Pulsar Trail XP50

DangerRanger

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm currently in deer season mode, so my weekend thermal hunts are cut down to about 1/4 of the time that I normally go. But I still had above average personal luck on a solo hunt Saturday night. Spotted one herd of about a dozen pigs tearing up a plowed field. Made the stalk in and killed 4. Not to impressed with my shooting to hit ratio, gotta learn to put a little bit more focus time in on the running shots.

LSB Andrew Newman Solo Half Res.jpg

Then I went to one more field and spotted a lone boar on the property line moving around, but still in my field. The wind was blowing right to him. But for the sake of time, I had no real good way to get down wind of him, and was concerned about how long he was going to be there period. So stalking towards him, He started to get real nervous at around 250yds. I could tell he was smelling something he did not like. I normally do not shoot past 150yds in the dark with my 6.8SPC, just have not had good personal luck getting pigs down with it past that point. But I knew this pig was about to leave, so I went ahead and lined up on top of his head. After shooting, about a full second later I hear the bullet hit report and I had nailed him in the lower third of his neck. He danced around a little bit and I let him hold 3 more 120 SSTs. Probably my longest confirmed kill with the thermal 6.8 SPC. Pretty proud moment. Then I realized I did not press the record button, and I also had not reset the record mode to "Recoil Activation Mode" after pausing from the first herd I shot into............ So no video proof of my distant kill shot. Just a pic of me and a dead pig.

LSB Pew Branch Muddy Boar 250yd.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Job! I love the clarity of that thermal. Very nice.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice work behind the XP50. 5 hogs down is always a good hunt!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Still some good killin'. But we all know who would've missed more hogs... and killed bigger dirt clods too. :p

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Still some good killin'. But we all know who would've missed more hogs... and killed bigger dirt clods too. :p
Seriously ? Ya think One Bullet Barney can reload fast enough for multiple dirt clod kills ;)

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Seriously ? Ya think One Bullet Barney can reload fast enough for multiple dirt clod kills ;)
I had to give him an honorable mention (tongue in cheek as it may be).

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love the sound of that THUD!!! Nice going, and some dandy shootin! BANG BANG!!

Oh ya and nice pictures again, very clear.

Bama

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm currently in deer season mode, so my weekend thermal hunts are cut down to about 1/4 of the time that I normally go. But I still had above average personal luck on a solo hunt Saturday night. Spotted one herd of about a dozen pigs tearing up a plowed field. Made the stalk in and killed 4. Not to impressed with my shooting to hit ratio, gotta learn to put a little bit more focus time in on the running shots.

View attachment 5541

Then I went to one more field and spotted a lone boar on the property line moving around, but still in my field. The wind was blowing right to him. But for the sake of time, I had no real good way to get down wind of him, and was concerned about how long he was going to be there period. So stalking towards him, He started to get real nervous at around 250yds. I could tell he was smelling something he did not like. I normally do not shoot past 150yds in the dark with my 6.8SPC, just have not had good personal luck getting pigs down with it past that point. But I knew this pig was about to leave, so I went ahead and lined up on top of his head. After shooting, about a full second later I hear the bullet hit report and I had nailed him in the lower third of his neck. He danced around a little bit and I let him hold 3 more 120 SSTs. Probably my longest confirmed kill with the thermal 6.8 SPC. Pretty proud moment. Then I realized I did not press the record button, and I also had not reset the record mode to "Recoil Activation Mode" after pausing from the first herd I shot into............ So no video proof of my distant kill shot. Just a pic of me and a dead pig.

View attachment 5542

DangerRanger,
I purchased a Pulsar Trail XP 50 about a month ago. Really like it. Question: you mentioned "Recoil Activation Mode". I can't find that in menu or instructions. Can you tell me where to locate on Menu? Many thanks!

DangerRanger

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
DangerRanger,
I purchased a Pulsar Trail XP 50 about a month ago. Really like it. Question: you mentioned "Recoil Activation Mode". I can't find that in menu or instructions. Can you tell me where to locate on Menu? Many thanks!
So you may have to make sure you have the latest firmware update. If you do, then hold down the record button to toggle between three modes "pic" "video" "recoil video." The recoil video has a little picture of a bullet displayed to the right of the recording time.

Bama

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So you may have to make sure you have the latest firmware update. If you do, then hold down the record button to toggle between three modes "pic" "video" "recoil video." The recoil video has a little picture of a bullet displayed to the right of the recording time.
Thanks, I did the firmware update and that did it! One more question. When you start your hunt do you toggle to "recoil"? Or do you wait till you acquire your target?
A couple hunts I turned on at beginning of stalk and it looks like it recorded the whole time or when I must have "jiggled" the gun.