5.56/223

Rappland

LSB Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but I just crunched some numbers in the calculator at the top of this section and it looks like loading this caliber for plinking is a waste of time as cost of components is the same as loaded ammo. I understand that reloading a case repeatedly would drive the cost down but initially it's a wash, correct? I plan to have my bench ready by the end of next week and after about $400 I plan to start loading 6.8 then 308, looks like I won't bother with 223 dies, my time is more valuable.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It takes a while and lots of shooting to realize savings on some calibers. Depending on what and how much you shoot, it may take thousands of rounds to realize any savings. I reload since I shoot enough to make it worth it. I also love the ability to tailor my rounds to my guns - something you cannot do with factory ammo.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It all depends on if you buy in bulk and if you wait on deals.
Years ago I bought a bunch of ammo cans full of pulled 55gr FMJs that i use for run n gun carbine matchs where the longest target is under 100 yards.
Surplus powder helps the most.
Range pickup brass and finding deals on Once Fired brass for cheap helps alot also.

When i started reloading i could do 1000 55gr FMJ loaded for under $100.
But if it cost you 25 cents to load 223 and you can buy it loaded for 28 cents, yea thats no brainer.

Loading for accuracy is a whole different game.

Rappland

LSB Member
I won't be doing any precision ammo for 556. I occasionally fire it just for kicks but mostly hoard it. I doubt I will reload it but I save the brass just in case. Seems it's not worth the time for me to load it.

Richard Teague

LSB Member
If your shooting paper seriously or plinking steel I think it's worth it. 75 grain bullets seem to up it's game a bit but you can buy them off the shelf.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I won't be doing any precision ammo for 556. I occasionally fire it just for kicks but mostly hoard it. I doubt I will reload it but I save the brass just in case. Seems it's not worth the time for me to load it.
I reload .223/5.56 for all my needs. I want to have the best rounds I can make no matter what I'm shooting at. I reload 55gr fmj and soft points for my AR's to plink with/target shoot. 50/55gr Vmax rounds for my Savage Model 12's. I'm shooting .2-.3 moa for shooting pdogs with. I also load 65gr gamekings for pigs and deer. Like others have said buy in bulk and save. I have the Little Crow Works worlds finest trimmer that I use to trim the brass with. Some rounds I can load as cheap as .25cents, some cost as much as .34 cents a round. Now keep in mind that price does not include brass. It was all free to me. What it's worth to you to shoot custom made ammo for each and every gun you shoot? If your time is more valuable to you than custom made ammo, reloading is probably not for you. Because it'll take a lot of time. It will not take less time to reload 6.8, 308 or any other caliber either. Now if you don't mind shooting cheap metal case rounds through your guns, reloading is probably not for you. Reloading quality ammo is time consuming. Some folks spend tremendous amount of time sorting cases and general case prep time, some don't.

NightStalker

I load precision rounds for my 556 because I want a good round when I pic up the rifle and I like doing it.
Besides most of my brass is range pick up so I fig deduct that cost