45 calibre sub-sonic loads

NF Alberts

Hi,

I am so happy I found this page. Have been thinking about a heavy calibre sub-sonic suppressed gun for crawling around in the bush here in South Africa. Want to stalk and shoot animals up to the size of kudu (elk size) and maybe eland (moose size). The De Lisle Carbine put me onto the idea. Using the AR platform over here is not an easy option so I will go for a bolt action. The 458 Socom looks great but we are far away from your markets and getting cases, dies and the like is a pain. Thought a 458 2" American will do the trick with 500 gr brass solids with nice big meplat. Can anyone offer advice from their experiences?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've used the 500 gr expanding subsonic in the .458 socom. Once you are subsonic the only thing that matters is diameter and mass. I prefer supersonic over subsonic by far even with the heaviest bullets. I see no real advantage to shooting subsonic. It still makes enough noise from the shot to be heard, and if you hit your target the sound is louder than a unsuppressed 9mm pistol we tested this with decibel meters from silencer shop.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The 458X2" will absolutely do what you want done. Please remember that you will be dealing with a belted case though.
If you want that power level,yet want to drop down into the relm of subs,in a bolt gun,how about 500S&W mag (.500"),460S&W mag (.452") or even the 454Casull (.452").
The 460S&W mag is a 60,000psi cartridge and in a solid built (Mauser ?) bolt gun,could handle about anything on your continent within the closer ranges. I own a 500S&W rifle and it hits really hard and cuts a half inch hole going in. I use a wide meplate bullet (WFNGC) hardcast and have never recovered a full power load. You can shoot the 440gr hardcast bullets at 800fps using Trail Boss powder if needed also.
Let us know what you decide. --- pruhdlr