3rd hog with Snares this week

Discussion in 'Trapping Hogs' started by RattlesnakeDan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

So the reason I started using snares is because the ranch owner has cattle everywhere making setting up a trap difficult w/o the cows getting into it, messing with it. I have pressured the hogs around here so they now spend their days in the neighbors property which isn't hunted. They come across the roads into this property at night and make a mess of things.
    This is another pregnant sow, she got caught around the snout but managed to brake the carabiner and get awy but 20' away she tried escaping back from where she came from but I had a snare there too. A bad night for this sow. snared hog 3.jpg

2. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Wow! You're doing well with those snares.

Keep After 'Em!

3. Bacon8tor

Bacon8tor LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB

Kinda takes the fun out of it when they’re already dead by the time you get there!

4. Whosure

Whosure LSB Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

You might need to change your name to Trapper Dan with the luck you are having with those snares.

5. Curly Shuffle

Curly Shuffle LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Way to go!! That is just to cool!! Snagged her twice!LOL!! Get after them all!! MY NECK HURTS!!:)

RattlesnakeDan likes this.
  6. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Haven't found one dead yet, I have to shoot them, when I pull up they get rascally! I don't want them to get crazy and get away or tear up the fence any worse so I usually cap them pretty quick.

Homebrewer and der Teufel like this.
  7. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

Static lassos strike again! Keep wranglin' there Dan'l. By now, you could've had Chopper saddle broke, and cut 'em old school.

RattlesnakeDan and Curly Shuffle like this.
  8. Richard Teague

Richard Teague LSB Member

I have snared several that the other hogs or coyotes killed before I got to them but usually they are alive and can be frisky. I knew a guy that was snaring them and killing them with a spear along the Trinity river bottom.

9. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

Interesting new way of getting the hogs!

10. Richard Teague

Couldn't use a firearm and he would just leave his spear out near his snares. He liked company when he did it for sure.

11. der Teufel

Before I'd resort to a spear I think I'd pay the costs for a suppressed .22 pistol.

But then, I wasn't there …

12. RattlesnakeDan

Spear would work fine. My brother in Montana just built a spear at home and killed 3 does already this year. To each their own.

13. Richard Teague

When I was along my 1911 was the safety device. If the difference is between getting hurt or paying a fine I will gladly do the latter. I will say he didn't throw the spear and he had some epic struggles waiting on the pig to die more than once. His spear is made from a heavy duty mop handle, a Harbor Freight $8.99 survival knife ground sharp on both sides and a wider "hilt" added to keep the pig from sliding up the spear. We never went out in the day time to do it but I would like to get this on film someday.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Curly Shuffle likes this.
  14. Curly Shuffle

Curly Shuffle LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

That guy on one of those hunting channels that spears everything including bulls in Australia has more than I do to do THAT!! SPEAR CHUCKER!!

15. Richard Teague

There was another guy that had a 3 prong spear doing the same thing in Florida. I'm too old for it myself.

16. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy New Member

OK, I'm interested, its been 40+ years since I trapped coons in the early 70's and I've never used a snare. Hogs are getting ahead of me here. I have a 30+ acre hay meadow and half of it is rooted up. Could you share a little info on snares such as what size or type to use for hogs? They have trails beaten out crossing my pasture so I'm guessing it won't take rocket science to figure out where to set them. Thanks.

17. RattlesnakeDan

First get some HOG snares, anything smaller will get twisted and go bye bye. You can order them on-line or make some. I bought mine from a local guy I see at church who is a coyote trapper and had a couple dozen on hand.
    You can watch some utube vids, there aren't too many but you will get it pretty fast. The longer the snare the better, anchor low at fence post base, small tree base etc.... Hogs are tough, they usually aren't dead when you get there unless small, so be prepared to dispatch them.
    Set them up on trails, obviously. I buy farm wire, those 1 lb rolls maybe, use it to hold the snares up on the fence wire or brush, just allow the wire to be pulled off when they get caught. On a trail guys usually keep them 6" off the ground but on fence crossings you can't or your loop will be too small so I try to keep them at least off the ground a couple inches if possible. Anything else just p.m. me and I will help. Funnest part is the anticipation in the morning checking to see if you caught any. Learn from your mistakes and repeat your successes.

Bakester likes this.
  18. der Teufel

Bakester likes this.