336 armasight compared to 640 armasight

Sa1000

I'm looking at the armasight 3x24x75 640 and the 5x24x75 336.Wouldn't the 336 on 5x with no digital zoom be as clear as the 640 3x with the 2x digital zoom making it a 6x?An the 640 would be clearer on 3x with no digital zoom.

Sa1000

I'm looking at the armasight 3x24x75 640 and the 5x24x75 336.Wouldn't the 336 on 5x with no digital zoom be as clear as the 640 3x with the 2x digital zoom making it a 6x?An the 640 would be clearer on 3x with no digital zoom.

The 640 3x24x75 would be at 320 on 2x right.An the 5x20x75 would be 336 on the native of 5x wouldn't?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Yes, basically a 640 on 2x looses half the verticle and half the horizonal resolution ... i.e. 75% of the pixels ...

So a 640 on 2x is a 320 etc.

Now the exactly magnifications and hence resolutions for the legacy Armasights are not necessarily what the product name says ... so the devil is in the detail if for some reason you want the EXACT resolutions, you will have to look at the manuals. Like my Zeus Pro 4x was really 3.7x on NTSC and 4.2x on PAL IIRC.

3x at night, for whatever reason, seems like a lot more magnification than it does in the day and, for me 2x to 3x is still an idea magnification for a 640 device, then I can double the magnification and still be plenty useable as I am like a 320 device. I can even go to 4x and be useable as I am like a 320 device that went to 2x. But that is about the limit for me.

Sa1000

Yes, basically a 640 on 2x looses half the verticle and half the horizonal resolution ... i.e. 75% of the pixels ...

So a 640 on 2x is a 320 etc.

Now the exactly magnifications and hence resolutions for the legacy Armasights are not necessarily what the product name says ... so the devil is in the detail if for some reason you want the EXACT resolutions, you will have to look at the manuals. Like my Zeus Pro 4x was really 3.7x on NTSC and 4.2x on PAL IIRC.

3x at night, for whatever reason, seems like a lot more magnification than it does in the day and, for me 2x to 3x is still an idea magnification for a 640 device, then I can double the magnification and still be plenty useable as I am like a 320 device. I can even go to 4x and be useable as I am like a 320 device that went to 2x. But that is about the limit for me.

Ok thanks.I'm new to all this an no where around here carries them that I can find to get hands on look at them.I rented a xp50 and it doesn't have enough magnification for how I'm hunting coyotes.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
How much magnification do you think you need ?

How far out are you shooting?

What cartridge?

How much drop at max distance you are trying to shoot?

Sa1000

How much magnification do you think you need ?

How far out are you shooting?

What cartridge?

How much drop at max distance you are trying to shoot?

I'm using a 22-250 right now.In some of the open fields out over 300 yards.But we have been setting up closer.Most have suggested the 100m zues or the mark lll 60mm.But I really want to stay in the 4000 to 5000 price range.I was hoping the 5x20x75 336 would get me close to what I'm wanting.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Have you looked at the thermal scope comparison video stickies here. Shows both side by side to 300.