30hz refresh rate

chthump

LSB Member
I purchased a Zeus 3 30hz refresh rate. Knowing that 60hz is better, but here's my logic. Googling the speed of wild boar is around 11mph(sounds a little slow to me), the refresh rate is 30 times a second, which means the boar will tract 6-3/8 inches running flat out between each screen refreshing. This would be running perpendicular to your position. Any deviation would shorten this distance. I just couldn't see paying an extra 2K to shorten that distance down to a little over 3inches. My 2cents worth. Check my math and please correct if you find an error. The only thing I'm fuzzy about is the actual speed of the boar, they seem faster but at night and I can't seem to find my radar gun.

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
I can't tell the difference between 30hz and 60hz, outside of some unusual circumstances. Supposedly the human eye/brain combo works out to an equivalent of about 25-28Hz, thus the difference of the two is negated. Obviously everyone is built differently, so I do know people that say they can see a difference, and I believe them. But, I have always been a little slow... I generally recommend to someone who is trying to get the best deal possible a 30Hz unit. However, 60Hz units seem to have better resale. My personal Zeus is 30Hz and I have never had an issue with latency when making a moving shot. I have had issues with me lacking skill....but not latency. It's a tossup really, of what is most important to the individual.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
It does make a difference, I had the Zeus 5 with 60Hz and now have the 640 30Hz. It is easy when you pan fast to see the difference. But doesn't really matter much for hunting situations when following a hog to shoot.

chthump

LSB Member
Delta 4-3, thats what I was thinking, when I miss a hog, the 30 hertz want have a thing to do with it, also saved enogh to get monocular, but still on the fence about those, I have Tam-14, I paid way to much for several years ago, its a 9hz (I think,also a POS by todays standards, but OK back when) and its fine for scanning, if done slowly, but who's going to run out and spin 360 then leave in hurry, the stalk, hunt and being outside is 1/2 the enjoyment.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All of my running shot videos are 30hz it does not lag or blur that I can tell. May make a difference on a helicopter or Jet though.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm just about to jump in the thermal game and what you guys have told me confirms that most folks in most situations won't notice much difference b/t 30hz and 60hz, so like the op I plan to go with 30hz. However, chthump you mentioned a $2k price difference - are you thinking refresh rate or resolution?

chthump

LSB Member
refresh rate, I just received it this evening and videoed 2 coyotes coming in from 200 yds to about 60 yards, but the scope was not sighted in, so no shots. The 60hz was around 6400 and I got the 30hz Zeus 3x 42mm for $4300. I think a 200yard shot wouldn't be a problem, it was obvious they were coyotes.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Delta, in comparable scopes, what is the run time difference between a 30 and 60 hz? As apples-to-apples as you can estimate.

chthump

LSB Member
After sighting the Zeus 3 336 , hit 3 out of 4 coyotes Sunday night, but after 1 battery change, it shut off from recoil on 2 yotes, I think it was just operator error, its on AR 556 but hasn't shut down again after rechecking batteries and about 15 shots, reread post, coyotes were in a 4 hour stretch , none were doubles

chthump

LSB Member
I got a video of them, but the Zeus shut off on the 2, one I heard the ch-thump, sound I like, the other was, according to my ears a miss, but looking at the video it looks to be a hit. If I can't see'um spin or drop, I figure its a miss. I've never posted anything but text, I'll be glad to email it to someone.