300 lb Behemoth Boar, 1 Sow, and 4 more Boars

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I headed down to Bosque County, Texas, this week for some predator and hog hunting. Little did I know it was going to turn out like it did.

I tried calling coyotes for a while with no luck in an area the landowner had said that he heard them behind his cattle pens. No joy. So I headed down to the oats field. On arriving, I spied one hog in the field and after I got over the fence, there were three. The only problem was that I had to circle around to in order to get in a safe direction of fire.

Several cool/bizarre things happened during the hunt, the most beneficial being that for 7 minutes, hogs remained in the field or kept coming into the field despite my limited shooting. Next, I almost got a twofer. The front hog of that pair just did not want to die. It was really weird.

I had no idea how large the hogs were that I was shooting as they were mostly hidden in the oats. The big boar was a real surprise when I found him. He is the largest boar I have taken by myself and the 2nd largest I have take, the other being a 322 lb boar taken on this same property, 2 or 3 years ago.

The hunt was the easy part. I moved several times while hunting and lost situational context for what hogs were down where or in what direction. I searched for 2 hours and only found 3. I figured 2 more were in the field and 1 in the trees (bottom land). Apparently, all three of the others were out in the field, one close to where I found the 2 boars. In the oats, it is so high that thermal is useless if you are more than 10 feet away and so I walked transects with my headlamp, looking for 'craters' in the oats where the hogs and gone down and done their curly shuffle. That is how I found the three I found. I also found several places animals had bedded down previously and places where we had killed hogs the previous week. Fortunately, the landowner came in with his tractor and a map to the hogs I found and solicited help from the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society to locate the others.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome hunt Brian!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow! Some dang big hogs there.
Nice work getting into position, glad the hogs cooperated a little.

Keep After 'Em!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
300lbs is a Big Hog!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You scored big time on this hunt! Amazing, when the 200 lbs. hogs end up being ho-hum after locating that bruiser. He definitely would've had a headache before the kill shot. Congrats on each of those suckers.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Solid work on those buisers. Really surprised that Grendel handled them so well :D

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video action Brian. Enjoyed the forward flip kill shot, and what a whopper of a big boar down.
Congrats on your hunt!

Jethro

Very nice video, great hunt. I really like the professionalism of your videos.

Not to mention, some really nice boars there.

Ewilson

I headed down to Bosque County, Texas, this week for some predator and hog hunting. Little did I know it was going to turn out like it did.

I tried calling coyotes for a while with no luck in an area the landowner had said that he heard them behind his cattle pens. No joy. So I headed down to the oats field. On arriving, I spied one hog in the field and after I got over the fence, there were three. The only problem was that I had to circle around to in order to get in a safe direction of fire.

Several cool/bizarre things happened during the hunt, the most beneficial being that for 7 minutes, hogs remained in the field or kept coming into the field despite my limited shooting. Next, I almost got a twofer. The front hog of that pair just did not want to die. It was really weird.

I had no idea how large the hogs were that I was shooting as they were mostly hidden in the oats. The big boar was a real surprise when I found him. He is the largest boar I have taken by myself and the 2nd largest I have take, the other being a 322 lb boar taken on this same property, 2 or 3 years ago.

The hunt was the easy part. I moved several times while hunting and lost situational context for what hogs were down where or in what direction. I searched for 2 hours and only found 3. I figured 2 more were in the field and 1 in the trees (bottom land). Apparently, all three of the others were out in the field, one close to where I found the 2 boars. In the oats, it is so high that thermal is useless if you are more than 10 feet away and so I walked transects with my headlamp, looking for 'craters' in the oats where the hogs and gone down and done their curly shuffle. That is how I found the three I found. I also found several places animals had bedded down previously and places where we had killed hogs the previous week. Fortunately, the landowner came in with his tractor and a map to the hogs I found and solicited help from the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society to locate the others.

Awesome video, great shooting!