300 lb Behemoth Boar, 1 Sow, and 4 more Boars

Discussion in 'Hunting Videos' started by Brian Shaffer, May 8, 2018.

1. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I headed down to Bosque County, Texas, this week for some predator and hog hunting. Little did I know it was going to turn out like it did.

I tried calling coyotes for a while with no luck in an area the landowner had said that he heard them behind his cattle pens. No joy. So I headed down to the oats field. On arriving, I spied one hog in the field and after I got over the fence, there were three. The only problem was that I had to circle around to in order to get in a safe direction of fire.

Several cool/bizarre things happened during the hunt, the most beneficial being that for 7 minutes, hogs remained in the field or kept coming into the field despite my limited shooting. Next, I almost got a twofer. The front hog of that pair just did not want to die. It was really weird.

I had no idea how large the hogs were that I was shooting as they were mostly hidden in the oats. The big boar was a real surprise when I found him. He is the largest boar I have taken by myself and the 2nd largest I have take, the other being a 322 lb boar taken on this same property, 2 or 3 years ago.

The hunt was the easy part. I moved several times while hunting and lost situational context for what hogs were down where or in what direction. I searched for 2 hours and only found 3. I figured 2 more were in the field and 1 in the trees (bottom land). Apparently, all three of the others were out in the field, one close to where I found the 2 boars. In the oats, it is so high that thermal is useless if you are more than 10 feet away and so I walked transects with my headlamp, looking for 'craters' in the oats where the hogs and gone down and done their curly shuffle. That is how I found the three I found. I also found several places animals had bedded down previously and places where we had killed hogs the previous week. Fortunately, the landowner came in with his tractor and a map to the hogs I found and solicited help from the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society to locate the others.

MNBob, NYCHOGKILLER, gshock and 14 others like this.
  2. Whosure

Whosure LSB Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

Awesome hunt Brian!

3. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Wow! Some dang big hogs there.
    Nice work getting into position, glad the hogs cooperated a little.

Keep After 'Em!

4. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

300lbs is a Big Hog!

5. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I came up on him as to how big he was. Seeing them in the oats, largely hidden, I had no idea how big they were other than adult-sized, but he was really big. I like it when the pigs make me look small. :D

gshock and der Teufel like this.
  6. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

That was an awesome hunt!

7. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

You scored big time on this hunt! Amazing, when the 200 lbs. hogs end up being ho-hum after locating that bruiser. He definitely would've had a headache before the kill shot. Congrats on each of those suckers.

Brian Shaffer likes this.
  8. hdfireman

hdfireman Blackstone Arms SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter Vendor

Solid work on those buisers. Really surprised that Grendel handled them so well :D

9. Homebrewer

Homebrewer LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Great video action Brian. Enjoyed the forward flip kill shot, and what a whopper of a big boar down.
    Congrats on your hunt!

10. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

Great shooting!

11. Wildfowler

Wildfowler Mis'sippi SUS VENATOR CLUB

Awesome work. You’ve got a lot more patience and perseverance than I do, I would’ve easily burn through 3/4 of a magazine on that hunt.

Randy, Navygator and RattlesnakeDan like this.
  12. Navygator

Navygator LSB Active Member

Good stuff.

13. bar-d

bar-d LSB Member

Big 'un, kudos!

14. Jethro

Jethro New Member

Very nice video, great hunt. I really like the professionalism of your videos.

Not to mention, some really nice boars there.

15. Ewilson

Ewilson New Member

Awesome video, great shooting!

16. HotRod61

HotRod61 LSB Member

Great video as usual. Great shooting too

17. Jake

Jake Bandera, Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Cool hunt, gotta love those oats!

18. gshock

gshock Banned Member! SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Good hogs down!! That 300lb boar is a beast!