LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
From the description, it'd appear to be one designed to disperse its energy quickly. I'm reading that as it may be coming apart rather quickly. M'be it's not penetrating the shoulder armor adequately... to do tissue damage (other than the shock of the impact)?

M'be consider a round with a more solid construction? Something bonded, or a Barnes solid offering?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's exactly what I was thinking. I forget y'all don't know my dad. Is there anything he can get from academy that doesn't cost twice as much as the Winchester power points or the Remington core lokts.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No Academy stores in my corner of the U.S. Someone else will have to chime in on that question. Even if they're more (even double), it's money saved when the meat fills the freezer... instead of supporting the T.B.P.S.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, there's that too.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lol. I keep telling him that. He's shooting them at dusk with a bushnell banner so it's hard for him to see clearly. He said he felt like he didn't flinch or anything except on one of them that he grazed high and then Killed her days later on their morning route through his back yard pastur to a feeder (this particular small sounder was completely uneducated about humans and came within 20 Yards of my step mom on her morning walks 3 times the past month). Mate he pulled his shots. Maybe his barrel doesn't like those 170 grain power points. He says he zeroed at 100 yds. And shot at 65 yds. That would put his impact just over 1/2 inch high at that distance. he said none of them were over 100 lbs. maybe he was gut shooting them.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Too,too bad that you do not reload for that 30-30Win. Given that,I would suggest that you find/use the fistest/lightest bullet offered in a factory load. Unfortunately,most ammo manufacturers feel that the 170 and 150gr bullets are all needed to hunt with.

With the proper bullet,going at the speed that it can be driven in a 30-30 there are several bullets that come to mind that wold be an excellent killer of even the bigger hogs. You did not say what action his gun was so I am assuming it is a lever gun. That will limit him to flat nose bullets unless he wants to single load them.

Scan the net,someone just might put out a factory load with a flat nosed Barnes or other well made bullet. If not,even a wide,flat nosed,hardcast,would probably be better than the "normal" factory 170's or 150's. Check with the speciality ammo manufacturers,not just Fed,Win,and Rem.

With the right bullet,if he puts it square on the shoulder OR a heart/lung hit,they will die. If he shoots them in the asshole ......... ? ......... well ..... ?? --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Too,too bad that you do not reload for that 30-30Win. Given that,I would suggest that you find/use the fistest/lightest bullet offered in a factory load. Unfortunately,most ammo manufacturers feel that the 170 and 150gr bullets are all needed to hunt with.

With the proper bullet,going at the speed that it can be driven in a 30-30 there are several bullets that come to mind that wold be an excellent killer of even the bigger hogs. You did not say what action his gun was so I am assuming it is a lever gun. That will limit him to flat nose bullets unless he wants to single load them.

Scan the net,someone just might put out a factory load with a flat nosed Barnes or other well made bullet. If not,even a wide,flat nosed,hardcast,would probably be better than the "normal" factory 170's or 150's. Check with the speciality ammo manufacturers,not just Fed,Win,and Rem.

With the right bullet,if he puts it square on the shoulder OR a heart/lung hit,they will die. If he shoots them in the asshole ......... ? ......... well ..... ?? --- pruhdlr
Agreed... and from the link he provided, I selected .30-30 from the path, they show a Barnes with a flat nose... granted, it's 150, but a solid bullet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...nose-lead-free-box-of-20?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Loading image...
X

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This Barnes IS a flatnose however it is a HP. Seems that Barnes does their "homework" on the design and proper depth of their HP's. Personally,I would much rather have the same bullet with a shorther shank in ....... ummmmm ....... about 120grs,going faster. But it is what it is.

These will be costly,however,you sight in your gun with them,then one shot one kill. Put this bullet as mentioned above and ...... dead hog. He might try to run,however he will not get too far.Should be complete penetration with massive blood trail. Guessing ... with the right hit ... 30yds MAX.

As a non-reloader,feeding a turdy-turdy lever gun,this would be my pick until something mo-bedda comes along. Thanks RD --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
On the reloading side of this coin, Remington used to offer a loading for: .30-06, .308, and .30-30 which they called "Accelerator". It was a .223 55 gr. pill, with a sabot, seated into the .30 cal. casings. 4080 fps. was the 06 rating. As I understand it, ATF frowned on this concept of a different caliber (with NO markings) exiting the .30-06 and .308. Remington was pressured to stop making them. Last I heard the .30-30 was overlooked, and was allowed to remain (must not be as lethal... who ever thought of using a lever gun as a sniper rifle?).

E.A.Brown sells sabots and the loading die accessories to make them. Before getting my .22-250, these loads were my Caribou round for my 06.

Point being, if you can find a heavier/solid .223 pill that can be used in a tubular mag, these could be loaded up to make a little screamer from a .30-30. I have not seen a sabot sized to load a .270 pill into a .30 cal. casing.

http://eabco.com/remington-accelerator-sabots.html

Sabots01_small1.jpg

Accelerator.jpg

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another thing I forgot to mention is that the tracks of land are about 22-24 acres each. And a few more people have moved out there the past couple years. its supposed to be shotgun only but no one out there followed that rule so my dad started using his 30-30 and lets me use my 6.8. He has a .270 but would prefer not use it. We're all obviously very conscious of shooting direction out there bc there are a few more people that have built houses on the properties. I might even end up switch to a 7.62x39 or even a 300 Barack Obama as rat dog would call it just for hunting out there.
And yes it is a lever gun so flat nose only.

I searched ammoseek a handful of Ike's but it doesn't seem to be working right bc the only bullets it found were the core lokts and the super x pp. then on Google I found several other factory loads after posting here.
Knowing my dad, I think I'm going to try to switch him over to the federal fusion 170 grain ammo (bonded bullet that's not double the cost of the super X PP ammo) bc all his shots are going to be less than 100 yds and he's cheap so he won't pay for Barnes, or other expensive bullets. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/35...0-30-winchester-170-grain-flat-nose-box-of-20

What do y'all think of those bullets as a good compromise.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks "more gooder", a lighter/sturdy pill will net you a little more speed.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting round the Sabot! Hum sure FBI did like due to rifling not matching. I have read that they had same problem with polygonal rifling no markes like a normal barrel. The biggest one is using a paper patch and a different caliber i.e. Kennedy killing. From the movie "The Shooter"

As a good son. You could buy him a box or two from Barnes as a present.

Last edited:

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have not seen the Accelerator line offered fro quite some time now. At one point I had about 6 boxes of them that I git from a small gunshop that was going out of buisness. I tried single loading them in a lever gun and in my wifes first 30-30Win. The accuracy was terrible.

Finally I just shot it all up to fireform the brass when her gun was rechambered to 30-30AI. IIRC Rem advertised the velocity at just over 3700fps. --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not seen the Accelerator line offered fro quite some time now. At one point I had about 6 boxes of them that I git from a small gunshop that was going out of buisness. I tried single loading them in a lever gun and in my wifes first 30-30Win. The accuracy was terrible.

Finally I just shot it all up to fireform the brass when her gun was rechambered to 30-30AI. IIRC Rem advertised the velocity at just over 3700fps. --- pruhdlr
LOL... Have you priced what those rounds are going for when someone lets go of NOS they've been sitting on? I think I still have over two boxes of it in 06.

Mine shot fairly well, but not REALLY well, that's why I got my .22-250.

They were screamers, and no recoil.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
30-30 Win 140 gr MONOFLEX™ LEVERevolution® works well out to 200yds.

MonoFlex is a GMX type, solid gilding metal bullet with a soft FTX tip. MonoFlex is intended for use in lever action rifles with tubular magazines. They look like a GMX, including the secant ogive, aggressive boat-tail and double cannelures, but are designed to expand at somewhat lower velocity. Their performance characteristics are otherwise similar to GMX, including 95% weight retention and very deep penetration.

Last edited:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tried the hog hammers in 3 other calibers. They all had terrible accuracy so I gave up on the brand