30.06 box ammo choice

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
Hey guys,

I'm still quite new to hog hunting and I am wondering what box ammunition I should choose for 30.06? Should I use 180gr federal blue box, or 180gr winchester power max bonded, or something else?

Cheers from Canada,

Alex

D

djones

i've shot a few hogs with an '06. i don't think there are too many bad choices. just about any 30 caliber bullet with some oomph on it should work. i shot 180s when i thought i would run into that elusive elk sized pig, but it just gave my head battered brain syndrome. in hindsight i'd just shoot whatever showed decent accuracy in that rifle.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With .06 any standard ammo 150gr+ will DRT hogs.
Boxed ammo my .06 loved Remington 150gr SP.

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
i've shot a few hogs with an '06. i don't think there are too many bad choices. just about any 30 caliber bullet with some oomph on it should work. i shot 180s when i thought i would run into that elusive elk sized pig, but it just gave my head battered brain syndrome. in hindsight i'd just shoot whatever showed decent accuracy in that rifle.

Ok, good to know. I'll probably stick with the cheap soft points then. Cheers

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
150gr should do the trick with no problems. Save on your shoulder also!! BANG BANG!!!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Remember not to shoot them behind the shoulder. Through the shoulders, neck or head.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Until recently, I've hunted hogs exclusively with 30.06.

I now use it only as my daylight rifle – but if the recoil wasn't an issue, I would definitely use it with my night vision scope instead of my .270. (The vast majority of my shots are between 70 and 110 yards, so I don't worry about bullet drop).

In my personal experience, the 180 grain soft point does a good job, but can be insufficient for a instant drop - as can any round in any rifle - depending upon the hog and placement.

And a little bit of luck.

To that end, I now exclusively use 220 grain cartridges. And will do so until they start making a 221...

It will also give the opportunity to overpenetrate into another hog if they're close together. And that's rarely a bad thing.

In my mind, recoil is not an issue – when you've finally got fur in your scope, you won't even feel it. Probably not even next day unless you fire about 10 rounds - which is a helluva night of hog hunting with a bolt action rifle.

Here's a previous post describing one particular experience I had with the 220 grain.

Using a hog to dig for mushrooms... | Lone Star Boars

Regardless of the size of the anvil you're throwing down stream, the boyz are absolutely correct about the importance of shot placement.

I find low to center neck to be optimal - even if you're slightly off, you'll damage the spine or trachea.

Good hunting!