.277 Wolverine Initial test and hunt.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you finding the 90 GD to work "more gooder" in this cartridge over its bigger brother? Definitely looking forward to how the 100 AB does. I have a pile of these to load up for my 6.8.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you finding the 90 GD to work "more gooder" in this cartridge over its bigger brother? Definitely looking forward to how the 100 AB does. I have a pile of these to load up for my 6.8.
I used the 100 ab for the pigs was nit to sure about the 90gr gold dot on them. I average 2960fps with the gd in the 6.8.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I dunno, I've been pretty slow to get too excited about this one. Mainly because it's going the wrong direction for what I look for as far as "improvements" go. I don't put food on my table by kicking doors in, so I don't really have a need to have a sub-sonic rifle cartridge. And, this always seemed to me as a "well, it's better than a .300WTF... an alternative."

I read that a number of folks are in love with it (the more they shoot it). I get it that it's cheap brass, even lighter recoil, fun to shoot, even a better alternative for a sub-sonic door kicking tool. Is it a legit hunting tool is where I begin to question it.

Now, I understand, and GET the concept of the 'Yote Smoker. Neck DOWN a 6.8 brass and load a .223 cal pill for even MORE speed and a flatter shooting round.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That appears to work just like a 556 or the 6.8 with the 90gr gd, just the reason I don't use the 90 GD to hunt hogs. I do like the larger bullet with good damage but never though of going down from the 6.8, maybe up but not less plus I am not a reloader

Last edited:

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looks promising. Thanks for the info.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I dunno, I've been pretty slow to get too excited about this one. Mainly because it's going the wrong direction for what I look for as far as "improvements" go. I don't put food on my table by kicking doors in, so I don't really have a need to have a sub-sonic rifle cartridge. And, this always seemed to me as a "well, it's better than a .300WTF... an alternative."

I read that a number of folks are in love with it (the more they shoot it). I get it that it's cheap brass, even lighter recoil, fun to shoot, even a better alternative for a sub-sonic door kicking tool. Is it a legit hunting tool is where I begin to question it.

Now, I understand, and GET the concept of the 'Yote Smoker. Neck DOWN a 6.8 brass and load a .223 cal pill for even MORE speed and a flatter shooting round.

I hear you I think the two main attractions are cheaper (brass, and just a barrel change) and then it's just something new and different.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and initial review of the bullet ... I like name of that cartridge.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hope its alright I shared this on the .277 Forum. Since they are obvious Wolverine fans they loved the video.
I was given 400 rounds of Gold Dot with my purchase though there have been mixed reviews on its expansion.
Your ballistic gel test looked really good.
I contacted Berger and they pointed me toward the 95gr TTSX lower FPS for maximum 1700 versus the 85gr TSX which requires 2100 FPS for expansion.
I also reached out to Barnes tickling their ear about developing a 90-100gr hunting bullet. But since they are into high BC longer range performance bullets there probably is no market for them.
Had another person review the Leigh High Defense and they could not get the bullet to expand to their liking.