267 hogs over 3 nights

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Someone on another forum is claiming that they knew a guy who caught 267 hogs over 3 nights by running dogs. I don't know anything about running dogs, but these numbers don't seem to add up to me...
Can anyone here home in with input on how realistic and or probable it is to do those numbers wih dogs in that ant of time.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
2.67 hogs a night averaged out over a weeks time would be a bunch of hogs.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He said 6 dogs. I'm trying to math out how to divide those dogs in teams to track, bay, and wait for a person to dispatch that many hogs in that many hours. That's like 3 hogs an hour with 2 dog teams over three 10 hour nights....

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Traps yes, rifles yes, helicopter yes, dogs highly doubt it. I know plenty of people who run dogs 6 to 10 a night is considered a great night.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not with dogs, they would quit or be run to death, it is impossible with dogs unless the ran them off a cliff into a ravine.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
3 years hunting at night is more feasable

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Every hog has a chase time of 5 minutes to an hour (realistically). Then there is at least 10-15 minutes of handling time. I know folks claim their dogs can go all night long, but usually that involves extended periods of rest between chases, or having at your disposal multiple teams of dogs, which would mean down time either way. The humans need rest between chases as well. For giggles and grins, let's assume no rest and that everything goes well and that there is 15 minutes per hog from start of chase to either kill or getting it in the trailer. I have never seen a hog dogger that averaged 15 minutes per hog in a given night, but if you have an unrealistic claim, then you have to have unrealistic performance. That is about 4005 minutes of time, or 66 hours and 45 minutes for 267 hogs. Now, we have approximately 11 hours of night time going right now and that could account for 33 hours of time for night hunting, which means he would need just over 6 days with catching the hogs sequentially at an average of 15 minutes per hog.

Now, if he was catching a hog every 7 minutes or so on average, that would work. Of course, there is going to be a LOT of running of the dogs and of the people. No doubt there would need to be multiple teams of each to keep fresh the dogs and chasers, probably operating concomitantly, and each of those teams would need probably 4 additional teams to actually keep dogs running all night long and so you would then have multiple teams of handlers and probably at least 2 additional teams of humans.

So to make this happen, I would guess that the guy is running at least 5 teams at the same time, comprised of at least 3 chase dogs and 2 catch dogs per team and 3 humans per team to keep track of the dogs. So out at any time would be 20 dogs and 12 humans. The entire group would require no less than 100 dogs (including backup teams) and 36 people working in concert with a convoy of support vehicles.

Of course, means no losses to hound or human due to injury, exhaustion, or death. It means NOT collecting live hogs into trailers.

NOT realistically possible.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang Brian, that's a long way to go to say NO!
But effective. Cuts out the hard headed ones. After reading that they just won't even respond lol.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If it did happen I want to see the dogs.....................from a long way off!

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lol well it's on the 2coolfishing forum in the hunting board, "hogs are trying my patience..." thread if any of y'all are members there and want to chime in.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ha you are awesome Brian. Love having a forum scientist! You just need to copy past Brian's post over there Blakester