265 lb Boar, Lead Analysis, and Hogcropsy

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
https://youtu.be/AGBiyITeRDw
I continue to be amazed at how easily animals seem to materialize out of nowhere. THREE hours I had been watching this group of cattle and the fields around them. I would do a complete pan and scan every couple of minutes. I did one and then turned around to scan through the trees behind me into the next field and when I turned back around, there was this large boar in the middle of the cattle. He snuck in very well, LOL. I watched him for over 3 minutes as he strolled through the cattle. He did not appear to be there to eat, but seemed to just be passing through. As he was among the cattle, I had no shot. I needed to wait until he was behind them. That point finally came and he didn't slow down. I tried lip squeaking to see if it would catch his attention, but that failed (as it usually does). So I went ahead and shot him on the move.

He was a bit farther out than I thought and the shot hit farther back than I expected. So I ran the calculations and the shot hit about where it should have hit given the hog's distance and approximate speed, bullet speed, and time of flight. Even though the hog didn't look like it was moving quickly, the time of flight allows for a lot to happen and in this case, it allowed for the hog to travel about a foot.

The Hornady SST 123 gr. factory ammo entered the back of the left shoulder, punching through hide, shield muscle, shoulder blade, muscle, rib, lungs etc., rib, muscle, shoulder blade cartilage, muscle, shield, and hide before exiting the front of the right shoulder, but with only a part of the bullet. Entry side damage was actually much more pronounced than exit side damage, which is unusual, unless only a fraction of the bullet is exiting.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good size boar down! Happy hunting!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Interesting indeed.
I would not have guessed that a hog traveling a mere 4MPH would travel a foot just in the time it takes a bullet to travel about 130 yards.
But, I checked your math and — that's correct! Wow!

Good job anyway, and thanks for all the additional info.

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am more surprised that he went down for the count with that shot. Bullet must have fragmented and hit the spine.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am more surprised that he went down for the count with that shot. Bullet must have fragmented and hit the spine.

I completely agree with your assessment. When I probed the wound channel, I could not find where the spine was impacted, which proves nothing, but I wasn't going to gut him and do a thorough visual exam. That was as far as I would going with the analysis in the field. I may have gotten lucky and the bullet passed close enough to the spine to cause sufficient damage to lock up the hog at least temporarily, which was long enough for him to bleed out. I don't know. Maybe some small fragment zipped in and actually hit the spinal cord?

I am just happy he didn't run. :cool:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a monster hog, biggest one I have ever shot or seen was about that size, had huge cutters though.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Huge boar cratered in place. You just can't argue with Dead!
Appreciate the bullet flight time to boar breakdown.
Thanks Brian.

Night Owl

LSB Member
Another great video! Your necropsy analyses are very interesting and informative. Thanks for the extra effort and detail.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good info Brian, I don't think I've taken into consideration how much lead I need to take on a walking pig. I bet the jacket of the SST blew apart and the lead core keep on going causing the exit wound. I've found plenty of jackets but no lead cores in pigs I've killed with 120gr SSTs out of my 6.8.