223 is killing me

D

djones

223%20pig_zpszyecvf2s.jpg

couple young sows were walking along the brush line with a few piglets. thermal on its way back from upgrade so still using backup gun 223 with nv. first shot to the shoulder and…. no flop. got a few quick shots off at both before they disappeared in the brush.

went up to inspect the damage and she had three hits including the first one in the heart. never saw the other and no blood. 223 is killin me on running shots!!!!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep that is always the case w the 223...you did get 1 though good for you

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I always wonder when I see someone post a monster hog on the internet claiming they dropped a running 450lb hog with a single shot from a .223/5.56. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I must live under an unlucky star since that has never happened to me. The .223 is a little light for me for hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is why I don't even own a 556 but have 3 6.8's, also all my ammo is in 6.8 so I can store more and varied choices

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like my 6.8 but the Winchester Hog Special in 64 gr /223 is a hog slaying round. Try it if you can and see, killed a bunch with it and more DRT's than you would think including 270# running boar.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Before I got my 6.8 I used Nosler Partitions in my 223 with decent success.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
62gr green tips work fine... Hell , 40 gr .22lr works if you hit um behind the ear.

D

djones

Should have me build you a "backup" upper in 6.8! Won't be a backup for long though :D
i've given the 6.8 a lot of thought, and it would be fun to participate in the 6.5 vs 6.8 debates, lol

the nv scope used to be on the 308, and i thought about putting it back on while the thermal was getting upgraded, but i left it on the 223 for yotes and such, with the occasional pig. i lose my fair share of hogs hit with the 308, but i lost 4 of 6 running hogs with the 223 in the last 10 days, so i'm a little butthurt about it. the thermal should be back tomorrow and will go back on the 308.

vampire_zpsyn7rkld7.jpg

D

djones

62gr green tips work fine... Hell , 40 gr .22lr works if you hit um behind the ear.
i would shoot everything behind the ear if i could, but it's not as easy as dr. sus makes it look. if i was sitting in a blind resting on the window sill with an accurate rifle, good scope, calm wind, 75 yard shot at an unalarmed pig under the feeder who hadn't moved in the last 5 sceonds... i would certainly do that.

then again, if i were to put 40 grains behind this guy's ear, i would file off the front sight first so it wouldn't hurt so bad when he shoved the rifle up my ass.

blades_zpsb2shrler.jpg

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The hog in my avatar was killed using a 223 and 60 grain Nosler BT. It took four shots but I did get him. I'm not saying its the perfect choice for hogs but it works if that is all you have available.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i would shoot everything behind the ear if i could, but it's not as easy as dr. sus makes it look. if i was sitting in a blind resting on the window sill with an accurate rifle, good scope, calm wind, 75 yard shot at an unalarmed pig under the feeder who hadn't moved in the last 5 sceonds... i would certainly do that.

then again, if i were to put 40 grains behind this guy's ear, i would file off the front sight first so it wouldn't hurt so bad when he shoved the rifle up my ass.

blades_zpsb2shrler.jpg

DJ - did you use the sharpened edge of the shovel to cut his throat?

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

blades_zpsb2shrler.jpg
40 grs in ear he'd be jus as dead

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice hog! Red dirty ... must be West Texas? I went to school in Lubbock years ago and dealt with the dust storms often.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

SteveR

LSB Member
I'm not sure what to think any more. I've been using the .223 for several years now and it's worked great with mostly head / neck shots. At the same time I've hit them in the shoulder with a 308 and had them run off as well as drop in their tracks from a gut shot with the .223. Here lately though things haven't been working so well. I killed my first one in a while the other night but it was the 8th one I've shot at recently. I know I hit most of the others as they either went down only to get back up or they left a blood trail. The same thing also happened to two coyotes over the past couple of months. Maybe I'm just getting sloppy with sight picture and trigger squeeze.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't think using the 223 has anything to do w the skill level as much as it does with the situation. Hogs standing still or from a blind you can get them good w a 223 using the right ammo. It is those on the move or running where bullet placement is not as preplanned when it fails typically. This is why I just went to the 6.8, I am ready for all situations to have the best outcome. Why use something that is underpowered when the cost of the 6.8 is so close to good 223 hunting ammo, does not make sense to me.