.223 ammo options

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Ok fellers, currently running a Diamond Back ar15 in 223/5.56. I don't have the funds to go 6.8 yet but, in the future that's where I'm headed.

For now, I need help. 1:9 16" barrel. My rifle doesn't like the 62gr hog hammers at all. 4" high left one shot, next 4" low right. It's all over the place. With the cheap american eagle 55gr fmj I can fill up a quarter at 50yds.

What would be some other decent rounds to try or suggestions as what's happening?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a YHM 16" with 1/9 twist. I shoot the Winchester 64 gr Hog Special. The accuracy is decent and they are the most devastating bullet I have shot in any caliber when it comes to killing hogs.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I'll pick up a box and see what happens. I don't think it's a weight of bullet issue as it should handle a 62gr bullet.

Also looked at the Hornady American gunner 55gr hp. At around .70 a round they might be a viable option.

I would like to find a hp round that performs like the cheap AE 55gr fmj.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just started shooting Ar's about 1 1/2 years ago now. I tried a bunch of different rounds. I like stuff that is on sale but those Hog Specials have some kind of X factor that worked for me and just about every hog I shot with them just died, shoulder shots mostly but hogs just fell over dead so often that it wasn't just coincidence or great shots because I rarely do head shots.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In 223 I use the 50 gr American Eagle varmint tipped rounds. I can usually find then less than $0.40 /rd and have had good results taking hogs down. It's not a 6.8 but its deadly.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
In 223 I use the 50 gr American Eagle varmint tipped rounds. I can usually find then less than $0.40 /rd and have had good results taking hogs down. It's not a 6.8 but its deadly.

No problem with penatration? I'm all for it at .40 a round. I'll see if I can find em locally.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Or... a barrel, bolt, muzzle device, and new mags will get you converted over to a 6.8 (probably less then $300 to get you there).

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Or... a barrel, bolt, muzzle device, and new mags will get you converted over to a 6.8 (probably less then $300 to get you there).

I'll get there one day, youngins and their needs come first so that's not an immediate option.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would use Barnes or something with good penetration with the 5.56

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Barnes 55gr VOR-TX. A little pricy but facing a 200+lb hog and a .223/5.56 its worth it too have a dead hog in field.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Thanks fellers, I've got a few things to try now. Really disappointed in the Rem. Hog Hammer crap. Bought it thinking the 62 grain barnes would do well for me. Something about that round my gun doesn't like.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks fellers, I've got a few things to try now. Really disappointed in the Rem. Hog Hammer crap. Bought it thinking the 62 grain barnes would do well for me. Something about that round my gun doesn't like.
You have to keep in mind the Barnes bullets are long for weight. Try the standard lead/copper bullets in the same weight you want to shoot. The Federal 62 and Winchester 64 should work just fine. I have killed countless hogs with the 60 grain Nosler BT.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We may have got a little off track with what works good for us in the field killing hogs and not so much about accuracy here with you. You may have to find what is accurate out of your gun on your own but at least you have some options to consider from what is working for others.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
We may have got a little off track with what works good for us in the field killing hogs and not so much about accuracy here with you. You may have to find what is accurate out of your gun on your own but at least you have some options to consider from what is working for others.

No big deal, my life has always been a little off track. I have to go find a few boxes of different ammo and see what happens.

This is my first AR and the only reason I have it was a smoking good deal. Got it early December. Right now it's set up with a leupold 1x4 and a Streamlight game spotter in green. I've killed 6 and missed on a few with this set up. I'm capable of better, just need to find what works.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea, it's nice to be confident in your setup, makes a big mental difference when out there in the field!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Remington hog hammers were inaccurate in a few different barrels and calibers for me also. I gave up on em.

I have not had good results with m855 but only used it on 4 or so hunts.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No personal experience with the 62gr Barnes in .223, but when shooting the all copper Barnes bullets such as the 95gr TTSX out of my 6.8 the accuracy is off if I do not first give the barrel a good cleaning with a copper cleaner like Sweets 7.62, and then refrain from shooting other types of bullets. For some reason the all copper bullets don't seem to play well when mixed with other bullets out of my *** barrels.

My son has been using SSA's 64gr bonded soft point ammo out of a 12.5" *** barreled .223Wylde sbr with good success on hogs. We got a great deal when it was on sale at Shooter's Pro Shop, so being inexpensive to boot sure helps. A couple times we have also used the Fed AE 50gr tipped varmint ammo with some success. I agree with Lancer that, for the money, it is great ammo if your barrel likes it. It is accurate out of both *** barreled .223Wylde's I have, and was purchased at less than $6/box from Palmetto State Armory a while back. Great for coyotes and plinking!

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Ok, think I found something that might work for now. Feller at work reloads and hooked me up with 50 rounds of 65gr Sierra Gamekings sp. After a few clicks here and there I was getting very respectable groups at 50yds. I'm ordering 500 rounds and he's going to put them together for me.

Below is my last 2 shots. The black ring is about 1 1/4" diameter. Just slightly bigger than a water bottle cap. I know I'm a cheap ass, that's an old cardboard box, I don't buy targets.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
EXACTLY like rgilbert states in his post #13. Plus...I have run across 1:9 twist guns that will not stabilize even the lead core bullets >64grs. Also remember the weight of the bullets will cut down the forward velocity which cuts down on the rotational velocity.

Just can't figure out why they even still make the 1:9 bbls. I will only have a 1:7 bbl. --- pruhdlr

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Well, I guess the next step is to see how the pigs like it. Maybe I'll get a chance to get after em this weekend.

As long as the gun and the pigs like em I'll be tickled.