.22 magnum JHP for hogs?

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I have Savage .22 magnum rifle that I just sighted in today at ASC in Katy, Tx.
I had a half dollar sized group of approx 20 rnds at 100 yds. I am thinking of using
it for EAR shots on hogs. I usually shoot a .270 to the neck, but wanted to get feedback from
y'all regarding the .22 mag for ear shots. Anyone else doing something similar?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does a hog's head stay still long enough to ensure a clean hit to the ear?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It will work if up close. I don't recommend it past thirty yards or so. The problem is running in to a really BIG one and only having that in your hands.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've killed several with a .22lr you just have to hit your mark. If you have something bigger it will work better.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have killed more than a 100 hogs with a 22 cal Pellet gun. But from 10 feet or so. When I was trapping them, I would hold them in a penned area and myself or customer gets to kill the hog. A behind the ear shot has never worked for me, ever.
You have to go between the eyes and up about 4 inches and their butt hits the ground before they know they are dead. If you shoot any lower it is all sinus and they will blow bloody snot at you.
If I could sit in my ground blind and get a 300lb hog w/in 30 feet I would use my pellet gun w/out hesitation. But I have killed a pile of turkeys with it also with head shots only.
There's a guy on youtube shoots hogs with his 22 all the time, down in Florida with a Savage, that fancy new one they have.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
no

not recommended

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
People have been killing hogs for thousands of years, long before guns were invented and before bigger, fancier, faster, flatter more expansive etc.......have fun...go shoot em'

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
It will work if up close. I don't recommend it past thirty yards or so. The problem is running in to a really BIG one and only having that in your hands.
I am hunting over bait and would have my .270 available. It just seems to me that a .22 magnum hollow point to the ear area of a small or medium sized hog should do the job, but I think I will stick with the .270 until I can get a Savage Axis II XP in.223 to replace my mini-14. The mini-14 is for sale.

Thanks to all for the input.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
People hunt hogs with .17 hmr. Doesn't mean it is a good idea, however. rgilbert suggested inside 30 yards. That might be a very good parameter you should pay attention to

Does a hog's head stay still long enough to ensure a clean hit to the ear?

Oh, sure, depending on the distance and watching the hog's behavior, that it can be done. I found this video. Something has this hog's interest. I like to shoot them in the head head eating or when doing security checks (head up, still, smelling air and listening), but that isn't for a shot as precise as "in the ear" should be (but usually isn't for most folks). Check out this guy.

The problem with "in the ear" is that it is rather vague. Here is a double, "in the ear" shot as well as a head shot. This hog should be dead three times. It was with a .308 hollowpoint. It was well less than 100 yards and was not effective. This hog had to be dropped while running and then finally a coup de grace shot was administered once downed.

DSC00052reduced.jpg

For an underpowered round like the .22 mag at distance, "in the ear" is probably not a very good idea in terms of aim spots. The ear is actually located at the back of the skull and located at the only part of the skull that tends to be thick, the back of the skull where all the neck muscles attach. If a bullet is going to have penetration issues, it will be there.

You don't care if the shot goes "in the ear," what you want is "in the brain."

A better spot on a hog's head presenting a lateral view would be not in the ear, but between the ear and the eye. There is less bone to deal with and you have more room for error with the shot. If you can put it in the ear, then you can put it between the ear and the eye and get better penetration.

As for using hollowpoint ammo on .22 magnum, a small, lightweight bullets, I am not sure I would bother. The issue you are concerned with most is lack of penetration to the brain, not bleeding out. If you can get a bullet in the brain, your hog should go down. Remember that while most of a hog's skull is not composed of thick, heavy bone, it is composed of two layers of bone (inner and outer "table," combined, not much thicker than a deer or human, depending on location) that are separated by a gapped layer of almost nothing up to about a half inch that is marrow space, before you get to the brain. Between the eye and ear, it is generally pretty thin.

So the long and short is that you can use a .22 mag but isn't the best choice by far. You can shoot "in the ear" with it, but a better spot would be right in front of the base of the ear, between the ear and eye which would give you more room for error and less chance of hitting heavy bone.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That bugger stood still for a long time. He'd make for easier pickings than some I've watched on all these fine videos. Now, my grandfather used to hunt polar bear with a .22lr (rolling block, single shot)... his advice was: "Shoot 'em in the ear". But, gramps didn't have choices of guns, and "buying" something in the arctic meant ordering from a Sears catalog and waiting for the spring barge to arrive to the arctic region. So, shots were made to count. (Gramps was nuts) LOL

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I ever get a hog to stand still that long I might just try running up to him to see what's wrong. lol

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i'm going to watch that video one more time and if they don't shoot it this time, i'm done with it. the suspense is killing me!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm telling you Lancer, I thought I missed something, like part 2. lol

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Check back in 5 minutes maybe it's live.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
People hunt hogs with .17 hmr. Doesn't mean it is a good idea, however. rgilbert suggested inside 30 yards. That might be a very good parameter you should pay attention to

Oh, sure, depending on the distance and watching the hog's behavior, that it can be done. I found this video. Something has this hog's interest. I like to shoot them in the head head eating or when doing security checks (head up, still, smelling air and listening), but that isn't for a shot as precise as "in the ear" should be (but usually isn't for most folks). Check out this guy.

The problem with "in the ear" is that it is rather vague. Here is a double, "in the ear" shot as well as a head shot. This hog should be dead three times. It was with a .308 hollowpoint. It was well less than 100 yards and was not effective. This hog had to be dropped while running and then finally a coup de grace shot was administered once downed.

DSC00052reduced.jpg

For an underpowered round like the .22 mag at distance, "in the ear" is probably not a very good idea in terms of aim spots. The ear is actually located at the back of the skull and located at the only part of the skull that tends to be thick, the back of the skull where all the neck muscles attach. If a bullet is going to have penetration issues, it will be there.

You don't care if the shot goes "in the ear," what you want is "in the brain."

A better spot on a hog's head presenting a lateral view would be not in the ear, but between the ear and the eye. There is less bone to deal with and you have more room for error with the shot. If you can put it in the ear, then you can put it between the ear and the eye and get better penetration.

As for using hollowpoint ammo on .22 magnum, a small, lightweight bullets, I am not sure I would bother. The issue you are concerned with most is lack of penetration to the brain, not bleeding out. If you can get a bullet in the brain, your hog should go down. Remember that while most of a hog's skull is not composed of thick, heavy bone, it is composed of two layers of bone (inner and outer "table," combined, not much thicker than a deer or human, depending on location) that are separated by a gapped layer of almost nothing up to about a half inch that is marrow space, before you get to the brain. Between the eye and ear, it is generally pretty thin.

So the long and short is that you can use a .22 mag but isn't the best choice by far. You can shoot "in the ear" with it, but a better spot would be right in front of the base of the ear, between the ear and eye which would give you more room for error and less chance of hitting heavy bone.

Brian, that is GREAT info and that will be my target point, in front of base of the ear, behind the eye.
The spot I will use the .22 mag will present a shot of 40 yds max. I will keep my .270 with me also.
I will try to find some .22 mag FMJ for this purpose. I would stick with my.270 at the other spot which would be approx 100 yds and that shot would be centered in the neck, just in front of the shoulder.

Sound like a reasonable plan guys?

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Get r done! Make sure to post pics or video!!

Drift

LSB Member
I've killed a few 80 lb hogs with a .22 mag. I've also been treed when it did not work. And ever 2-3 years I sew up someones leg that gets cut by a hog. So, I know it can be done, but before you shoot, look around and make sure that there is a climbable tree around!