22 Hellcat or It's all Brian Shaffer's Fault

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't know if you all remember a thread of Brian's where he was shooting poor meeces with his Grendel. I made a comment that it looked like fun. Well Brian had to go and post a link to the Wildcat forums. It has been close to 10 months I think and did not go looking for the old post but this was the result.

20160831_165521_zpsa41upgyr.jpg

The 22 Hellcat. Based on a 6.5x47 Lapua Case necked down to 22. Speeds exceed that of the 22-250 out of an AR15. I have not shot it yet as I just finished loading up my first ladder and break in rounds. I will take a shot of the rifle when I get a chance. I really want to get a nice muzzle device for it first. This is a speed demon. These rounds are loaded with 45.7gns of CFE 223 with a 40gn Vmax. Should peak out at 4300-4400fps. The nice thing about this wildcat is it only takes necking down the cases and trimming to length. No neck turning when using the 6.5x47 Lapua cases. That is why I went with this one. Plus it outpaces the other 22 cal cats in the ar15. Will post updates as I get to the range and finish things out.

Thanks Brian:rolleyes::):)

If anyone is interested in this or some other interesting cats including the 277 Wolverine here is the link. The Wildcat Cartridge Discussion Forum

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea it will probably be a shorter barrel life, or at least the throat. Not one I will take out and run 1k through. It will be a screamer for sure.

For those wanting to see the inspirational video here it is.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just wondering what twist rates these guns used. Thinking 1:10 would be nice. Hopefully not the "norm" of the 22-250 of 1:14. --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That should be a violent vaporization of varmints. LOL

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The barrels can be is whatever twist rate you would like. Most of these are 1 in 12. This cat was designed to run 40 to 60gn pills. Some are pushing 70s but there are oal limitations due to the magazine.

Mine is a 22" 1in12. I will take a few more pictures today.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
HOLY MOLY that is cool!

NICE!

However, I don't think I have ever posted on the Wildcat Forum

No, you just sent me the link... That got it all going.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sweetness going on there!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That Brian.... nothing but a troublemaker......

I need more troublemakers that lead me down the road to more cool rifles in my life!!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a screamer! Can't wait to see photos of the carnage!