210 Lb Boar in Lee County

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I met up with my usual hunting buddy last week at the usual place. We checked game cameras, and there was a large boar coming in at one spot on a pretty regular basis. He showed up about a half-hour before sundown, stayed until dark, then disappeared until a little past midnight when he returned for another short visit to munch some corn from our pig pipe. We set up the first night, and he came in on schedule. However, my partner and I had a slight miscommunication and he slipped away before we got him. Basically, my buddy told me to shoot if I had a clear shot. I assumed that meant he did not have a good shot. Neither did I and the hog departed. Later my buddy said he had a good shot but was being generous. The next night we abandoned all pretense of gentility, and I told him to "Shoot that thing if you can!"
The hog came in again on schedule, and this time I told my buddy to shoot while I watched thru my new handheld thermal monocular. We were shooting in a somewhat brushy area, and I figured if he ran I'd have a good chance of figuring out where he went. That wasn't necessary as my buddy's shot anchored him immediately. He gave a few kicks with a back leg and that was the end of the show!

We recovered the bullet in the far side shield. It was a Hornady 180 grain SPBT. Recovered weight was only about 58 grains, but it put the hog down quickly.

Bullet.jpg

We used the Glenn Guess method and just sliced off the leg quarters and backstraps, which we hauled back to camp for skinning and deboning. Worked pretty well, and my buddy was impressed! We lose some meat that way, but they keep making more hogs so we'll just have to make up for the meat loss by shooting a few more, eh?

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good size hog, and good to donate some to TBPS.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
By the following evening there was nothing left but bones and hide, which had been dragged into the brush.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good kill right there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job! and dinner too!