2 coyotes and the wrong preset zero

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Been a pretty quiet night. Checking multiple fields/pastures. Spotted what I though was a few hogs. Wind was blowing right towards them and I was about 300 yards away. Stalked around to try and get out of the wind but I think they winded me anyways and either left and I didn't find em or they cut across to another field and ended being 2 coyotes instead of hogs. Either way targets the land owner wants gone. They were about 100 yards away and moving further when I got on them again. Turned on the recorder, took aim and sent some lead down range.. they ran... sent more lead.. and more lead and more and more. WTF!?? Come to find out the Reap was on preset zero "B" for my 16" 6.8 and I was shooting my 12.5" 6.8 zeroed on preset "A".... damn.

I added an adjustable gas block this week to my 16" 6.8 and took it to the range Friday afternoon/evening and got it zeroed on preset "B".. I coulda sworn that when I got home, I switched it back to "A" knowing I would be bringing my 12.5" 6.8 hunting tonight. Anyhow... my bad I guess. DJ is right though, it's fun missing because u get to pull the trigger more! Lol
For about 5 minutes I was disappointed thinking I must have jerked the trigger bad or my good shooting luck had run out. Went back and watched the video o the MDVR and thought I shoulda hit on at least one of those and that's when I checked the presetzero setting.. it was on B and shoulda been on A:confused:
I'll make the video when I get home or when I wake up tmrw. Hopefully the slow mo/last freeze frame before the shots aren't way off also! lol

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
M'be that's it?!?! DJ's on preset zero B? (No, not his optic). :D

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Next time!! All part of tactical hunting ... some nights good some nights not so good. :cool:

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't move my scope between rifles, but I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Thought I programmed the DVR last week to record Walking Dead but got an episode of Golden Girls instead.

It hurts, brother.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Video added to original post.
End of video shows the reticle move when you switch it from locations A B C & D

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The thing that's getting me is that I remember changing it back after sighting in my 16" 6.8.
I was thinking about bringing a friend Saturday while I was getting my gear ready and I must have switched it back again to the 16" gun (B) bc when I bring a friend the 12.5" gun (A) gets used with night vision and the 16" gun (B) becomes the thermal set up, but when I hunt solo I shoot the 12.5" (A) gun with thermal. Anyways.... ohhh wellllll.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You'll git 'em next time. Fun stuff!!

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I liked how he tried for the crossing coyote double shot, which would have been really cool...
Kinda like shooting into a group of pigs hoping for the best lol