2 Boars Down, Back To Hunting The Oats...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

I went down and checked my game cameras in Bosque County and there wasn't a single hog image on any of them. However, I found tracks leading from the creek bottom up into the oats field and so I decided to hunt there. This is the same 29 acre oats field I hunted last summer and fall. I didn't realize that the oats had grown so much in the last two weeks, but the abundant rain has the oats growing faster than the weeds.

So Big Red Dog had me looked at a new image stabilizing spotting scope from Sig Sauer called the Oscar 3. I arrived early and was set up well before dark and so I thought I would scan the fields, take pictures of me using the scope like I was really hunting...only I was. I was taking my second picture of me looking through the scope when I spotted hogs with it, LOL. I wasn't sure if I should go after the hogs or not, given that it was still daylight and I did not think I could make a very good approach. However, the wind was strong and I figured that if I circled around them, I might have a chance...

Later, I had an opportunity at a lone boar. It was really odd. Every few minutes, I would scan the field and there would be this large deer. Sometimes his head would be up, sometimes down. Sometimes, I would watch him for a while until he lifted his head to confirm he was a deer. After an hour or so, I scanned him for the 3rd time that I did not see him with his head raised and then I watched him make a short trot across the field without ever raising his head. The deer had left and had been replaced by a hog!

I didn't find either hog that night. I went back the next day after spending time on the computer, reviewing the video footage and looking for landmarks to figure out where the hogs were. That worked well enough and I was able to locate both hogs and remove them from the oats field for the farmer.

I didn't get a chance to do more with the terminal ballistics as time was short and the storms were rolling in, forcing me to leave before I could do the work.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well Brian, I see you are on your game plan, as usual. Good work on the hogs!
I like your use of the deer cart to remove hogs from the Ag field. I believe I have the same cart, just haven't used it for pigs - yet.

Dennis

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well Brian, I see you are on your game plan, as usual. Good work on the hogs!
I like your use of the deer cart to remove hogs from the Ag field. I believe I have the same cart, just haven't used it for pigs - yet.

Dennis

Deer cart? You can use them for deer? :D

One thing I learned last year is that they sink in soft ground, LOL.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another fine execution of hog control!!!

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jus got home from hunting wheat and oat fields... It's tricky finding um in that stuff. Last hog of the night ran out in front of the truck as we were leaving. Tried to get him with the truck but he turned and ran out into waist high corn field. Must have been tired from the 20 sec chase down the road. He stopped about 25 yds out in the field a froze.... Fatal mistake.
Got video, but need to edit it. Which program do you use to edit your videos?

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Brian!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sure is purdy all greened up like that. Good shootin' there Brian..

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting. I tried a cart once. It kept sinking. Trying to keep hogs balanced on those things nightmare. Sleds are no better but you gotta get that game out of the field.

Question: Is my oatmeal gonna have hog guts all over it... Bwahahahha

Flir-D-Lee

Join the pig Jihad
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The cart is too much work for me. I use the Beast by EZ-Go or the trusty Kawasaki Mule.
I'm too old to tote 'em.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another awesome video! My wife is headed out of town next weekend with our daughter, so I'll finally have a chance to get back out to the woods.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting. I tried a cart once. It kept sinking. Trying to keep hogs balanced on those things nightmare. Sleds are no better but you gotta get that game out of the field.

Question: Is my oatmeal gonna have hog guts all over it... Bwahahahha

Bungicords are your friend!

And yes, your oatmeal will have hog guts and buzzard poop in them.

The cart is too much work for me. I use the Beast by EZ-Go or the trusty Kawasaki Mule.
I'm too old to tote 'em.

Motorized vehicles would be nice, but the farmer does not appreciate us driving through his crop. We learned last year after the oats were nearly gone that driving a vehicle in there is a bit scary. The vegetation hides some significant hazards.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job on some difficult shots there Brian. Gotta love oat hunting, they are headed out and just about ripe here. Can't wait till that magnet turns on!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bungicords are your friend!

And yes, your oatmeal will have hog guts and buzzard poop in them.

Motorized vehicles would be nice, but the farmer does not appreciate us driving through his crop. We learned last year after the oats were nearly gone that driving a vehicle in there is a bit scary. The vegetation hides some significant hazards.
YES!!!! ;)

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice shooting again Brian. Nice sized hog on that second stalk.