SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Real life hog decoy...brilliant!!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An early one for you tonight, congrats on that. So? Brian has a new toy to buy batteries for, eh? Lookin' forward to the rest of this tale.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Calling for pigs really does work. Not always but it does work. We like to call when we know there are pigs in a Milo or wheat field. We can hear them and smell them, just can't see them.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Not sure, but I think they might be fox pro. Protective sow followed up by piggy in distress seems to be the best combo to use

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jhop is right. I was using the protective sow call on a FoxPro Shockwave. Glenn Guess has been telling me that I needed to be calling hogs, but I have always failed, so he got me to get a caller with hog sounds.

Basically, I had run the call for 10 minutes and cut it off. In the twilight, I saw a hog heading to toward where the caller was and he stopped within yards of the caller which was not on now, seemed bothered by the lack of sounds and retreated to re-evaluate the situation by about 15 yards, and I popped him through the front of the chest at 57 yards. The bullet did not exit. It turned out to be a 175 lb boar with nice cutters. He was wet, muddy, and smelled awful. No rested rifle image on this hog!

100_2711.jpg

100_2712.jpg

100_2713.jpg

And check out the mangled left rear foot!

100_2716.jpg

The decoy ploy did not work as well as hoped and no other hogs showed up. So I tried a couple rabbit calls and decided on "lil rabbit" and ran that for a few minutes and stopped it. I did a scan and spotted a coyote at 150ish yards back in the corner and so I hit the button to restart the caller and that got the coyote on the move. He stopped at about 130 yards when I shot him through the left side (quartered away) which blew out a large chunk on the left side, quite oddly, I thought.

100_2704.jpg

So all in all, the daughter's lightweight Grendel continues to perform well as does the Pulsar Apex XD38a.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gnarly hoof on that hog... odd. Serious cutters on him though.

Healthy looking song-dog. That's an entrance wound on it?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
think he spun on the shot? what did the other side look like? Nice hog, deformed foot, good cutters...cut them out!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that looks like an entrance wound

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have an old FoxPro I bought probably 10 years ago I wonder if I can modify the sounds on it. Maybe add some pig sounds? Good job Brian, we used to hate hogs that size with cutters like that when we hunted with dogs back in the day before they made cut vest and collars. They were small enough and fast enough to work on a pack of dogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The hog ones are on the Foxpro sight and you download them, very easy

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just gotta figure out if I can install them on the caller. Like I said it's about 10 years old.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
do you have a sd card in the unit?

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, I just got back from the Fox Pro forum. It's an old spitfire and has an SD card in it. Thanks for the help Frank. I'll have to make a trip to Radio Shack for a 3.5mm male to male cable to hook the caller to the controller after the SD card is programmed, but that ought to do it. Unfortunately it only holds 24 sounds and the volume is pretty low. I've never been able to call anything in with it except crows. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well after you get the calls in it, you can try it for cheap..I would try before upgrading

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can download them to your phone and then get a bluetooth speaker and put it out in front of you!! Might work.