1st Thermal Hunt

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well it's official I've gone thermal and wow what I was missing. After almost a year of saveing I just acquired the Pulsar Apex xd50a and I'm very impressed. I didn't have a lot of time to learn and play with the scope before this hunt Wednesday night. Because of this coupled with the high humidity and fog rolling in the image is pretty poor in the video. I forgot to NUC for a few minutes when my adrenaline got going and realized my focus was a little out after the fact. Also, something went wrong with my home rigged mic because my 9 volt was super hot to the touch and I had to disconnect it prior to the hogs showing up.

Wind was out of the South so hunting buddy Tim and I staged well away to the North, downwind of two sour corn baited holes. The hole the pigs came to is perfect to approach from the South but pretty difficult to see from the North. We thought we would have a clear shot but it was too brushy so we had to climb a small hill to get an elevated position about 80 yards away.

Tim was using the Sightmark Photon XT and couldn't find the hogs in the fog until I pinpointed them with my IR laser. Being on my left Tim singled out the hog in the middle since the hog on the left was facing away. I just had to wait for his hog to clear mine and we let loose. Both hogs dropped, my +-90lb sow with a neck shot, Tim's +-100lb boar in the head. The 3rd hog a large +-200lb sow sped away almost towards us and I got the lead right, hitting her high in the shoulder and dropping her just before she ran behind a tree. I wish I had my audio working because there was an awesome pig report on her. Tim shot sumultaneously and broke her back leg. I then scanned to make sure she was down since I couldn't see her through the large tree. Tim then exclaimed that one of the hogs was up. By the time I got on it he was shooting and broke it's neck with his 2nd shot. His initial shot took out the skull bone between his eyes exposing but not damaging the brain. Somehow this pig was tough enough to get up and start walking after that hit!

All 3 hogs very fat and healthy, I harvested all 6 backstraps. I found my 110g barnes tac-tx under the hide behind the big sow's right shoulder. It had taken out the left shoulder and expanded beautifully as usual.

Thermal is amazing, I am officially hooked. I need an intervention, I just ordered thermal socks, thermal blanket, thermal spa, thermal underwear, and a thermal coupler? I don't know what a thermal coupler is but it has to be amazing.... it's thermal!

bullet.jpg thermal1.jpg

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job - three hogs showed up, and three hogs down. Ya gotta like that!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to clean up there. Good shootin', congrats.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job!!! And a Thermalcoupler is when you and your friend both have thermal.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Jake! Yep you're hooked now.......

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice guys, boy that barnes expanded, I also use the 110 Barnes TSX in my 6.8 they expand but not like that.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice guys, boy that barnes expanded, I also use the 110 Barnes TSX in my 6.8 they expand but not like that.
Yep Frank I'm pretty amazed with these bullets and how consistently they expand and anchor hogs. All of them I recover look almost exactly alike.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
in the 6.8 the petals do not peel back that much or long but they do peel and about that same width

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, that's be the Tac TX was specifically designed for the slower .300 blackout to expand at slower speeds than the TSX and the TTSX... All the way down to 1600 or 1800 fps (can't remember since I don't have the .300 BO.)

And way to go on a fun and successful hunt. 3 hogs down, all shots hit pigs. Great shooting also!! And meat in the freezer.

What area of the state are yall hunting in

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, that's be the Tac TX was specifically designed for the slower .300 blackout to expand at slower speeds than the TSX and the TTSX... All the way down to 1600 or 1800 fps (can't remember since I don't have the .300 BO.)

And way to go on a fun and successful hunt. 3 hogs down, all shots hit pigs. Great shooting also!! And meat in the freezer.

What area of the state are yall hunting in

Thank you Blakester. We are in the Hill Country, Bandera County.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on getting the thermal! The XD50A is a great scope for the money. Good hogs down and when you go thermal, it's love at first shot. ; )

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on getting the thermal! The XD50A is a great scope for the money. Good hogs down and when you go thermal, it's love at first shot. ; )
You got that right!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good going Jake! You'll never try to hunt at night without thermal now.