1911 idea

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have owned numerous 1911's over the years. I have 2 right now and I'm waiting on a 3rd. Taking them apart and putting them back together has become easy now that I have the right tools.

So I started looking for another 1911. I aways wanted a custom 1911 built the way I want it. Well that got me to thinking. Why not try my hand at building one from scratch. Well in searching and deciding, I got the new brownells 1911 catalog. That got dangerous. After skimming through the catalog and doing a little more research I decided it's time to find a frame and slide and get it started.

I wanted to try the Wilson combat frame and slide kit because it is already fitted but they are out of stock and seem to be discontinued. So that got me looking at the others like the les Baer and the Ed browns. Then there's always the STI and the Caspian. I am leaning toward the Caspian. I like their race frame.

Has anyone else done this? Any advise on a frame and slide that will be a good starting point?

I understand how much work and time has to go into making it all fit and I'm prepared for that. Just wondering what frame will be best to start with.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I talked to the Caspian people at the NRA show lasr summer in Houston and was really impressed. I fell in love with the Damascus slides and would love to build a gun with one of those. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds or the ability or the patience to achieve that.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had the same thought awhile back but and did alot of research on how much work it takes. I decided the best route was to get a cheap RIA 1911 and throw a bunch of cool parts at it and do some of the custom stuff with a mill. Like flat topping the slide, cutting cocking serrations in the front of the slide, and even cutting the checkering on the front strap by hand. I decided I need to get a nice mill first then get the gun.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like the Damascus slides too. I have found slides with all the checkering and slide serrations done already. Without a mill I wouldn't want to try that. The rest I think can do no problem . Fitting the slide, reaming any of the holes that aren't right, simple machine work I can do by hand. I just think it would be interesting to have one I built from scratch like that. From what I'm seeing as I read more and more is that Caspian is the way to go

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There are several from scratch 1911 builders on our local gun forum you are also on.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I have seen a few of their builds. Going to post this over there too

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I watched a program a few months ago about a school in South Florida where the participants spent about a week learning how and building their own 1911. Looked really interesting, but I think the price was a bit high for my blood.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting, I haven't seen that

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wassman- What mill are you looking at? I am debating a knee mill and/or lathe right now...

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For what you are about to spend on this project you could have a very nice night vision.

I agree, this is an idea I have thrown around and don't know when I'll start it. But the night vision jar is getting closer and closer to full. Sadly, the more I read the more I think I should have a thermal jar too

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I found what I think was the subject of the show I saw. Look up Vickars Tactical. Larry Vickars teaches the course on building a 1911. It's 6 days and costs $2300 not including the cost of your parts. If you were going to do this for a living, that might not be bad, but for a "one of" it ends up being the most expensive 1911 around shor of a full on custom. I saw a lot of on-line courses listed that might be good for a low cost alternative.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well if I ever decide to get my ffl it might be a route to go. Gives me one more thing I can do