120SST velocity

Rappland

LSB Member
Max loads I'm seeing is about same as what Hornady advertises for their loaded. Is that because they are keeping within SAAMI specs rather than SPCII or others? Are you getting better results from your handloads? If not, what's the point of loading rather than buying factory?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would think that Hornady has gotta stay within 6.8SPC SAAMI specs. The SPCII is not SAAMI so if they loaded to those "specs"(really no such thing) they could have a severe liability problem.
There are quite a few guns out there with 6.8SPC chambers and more being made all the time.
The bullet - - -> Think about this. The 120gr .277" SST is made by Hornady. It is loaded by Hornady in their 6.8 ammo. Given this,wouldnt Hornady design the bullet to be be loaded and shot out of a 6.8SPC at their considered "optimal " velocity??
I feel that the factory 6.8SPC load is traveling at Hornady's optimal velocity for performance. If I were going to load this bullet,I would load it to Hornady's velocity as stated on the box. I would try to attain that velocity out of whatever length bbl and for whatever chamber my gun was.
Same with the 115gr Fed Fusion. Going too slow ?? I think not.
And . . . . How much difference is their REALLY between the attainable speed from SPC loaded ammo and the SPCII loaded ammo ?? This is highly debatable. My thoughts are . . . not as much as some would want you to believe given the same bbl twist rate. --- pruhdlr

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My *** 18" 5R barrel runs factory Hornady 120gr SST at 2610 fps. It takes 28.3gr of AA 2200 in a reload with the same bullet to equal that speed. No pressure signs at all at this weight in my rifle. Accuracy is the same with a thermal scope. If I can't equal or exceed factory ammo specs there's no incentive for me to reload.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My load is 5 fps faster than factory with the same accuracy. When I find factory at a good price I use it. It's not worth my time to save 10 cents a round.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I just bought a case from Target Sports at $1 a round. Sounds high, but you get free shipping when you buy case lots. I did the math and costs me 80 cents a round to load. Not worth my time.

Before someone go off about its cheaper if you have the brass I agree. I compared apples to apples and included the price of new Hornady brass in my equation. I get new Hornady brass with factory so I believe this was fair. If I had a progressive reloader set up in this caliber and a bunch of brass it may be different. I have found out that if I want good life from my brass I have to anneal them before the first reload. I have a Giraud annealer so this just makes one more step I don't want to do.

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I just bought a case from Target Sports at $1 a round. Sounds high, but you get free shipping when you buy case lots. I did the math and costs me 80 cents a round to load. Not worth my time.

Before someone go off about its cheaper if you have the brass I agree. I compared apples to apples and included the price of new Hornady brass in my equation. I get new Hornady brass with factory so I believe this was fair. If I had a progressive reloader set up in this caliber and a bunch of brass it may be different. I have found out that if I want good life from my brass I have to anneal them before the first reload. I have a Giraud annealer so this just makes one more step I don't want to do.
Can I have your brass?

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just started reloading .338 for my new Savage 110 BA stealth. I wasn't about to spend $100 for a box of 20 rounds. I admit it was rough dropping $200 for 100 new shells, however the primer pockets not having been crimped are very nice to deal with. I'm not going to throw away any of my other brass for the 308 or 6.8, but from here on out I'm going to purchase new never fired brass.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
In case anyone is wondering about the velocity vs kill'ability thing - - ->
These two hogs were killed with my 6.8SPC . . 1:10 twist . . 10.5" . . AR . . using Hornady FACTORY 120gr SST ammo. The hog on the ground weighed 268lbs. The hog hanging weighed 277lbs.
Given the bbl length and the distance to target,these bullets were traveling at approx. 2200fps. That is IF Hornady uses a 16" bbl to come up with their velocities stated on the box.
In both cases the bullet took out one or both lungs and part of the heart. Neither shot was a CNS shot. The bullet exited on one of the hogs and fragged on the far shoulder of the other.
The only thing that I do not like about these bullets is,the jacket most always seperates. Are they a killer ?? YES !! --- pruhdlr 20160903_130524.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141122_021040_133.jpg
    IMG_20141122_021040_133.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 20

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ouch . . . !! . . . found out. --- pruhdlr

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only thing that I do not like about these bullets is,the jacket most always seperates.
For my situation this is a bonus. I want the hog dead and if it dies somewhere else all the better. That means I don't have to mess with it dragging it off. I don't like touching them or my equipment touching them. They leave a smell on everything that stinks!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For my situation this is a bonus. I want the hog dead and if it dies somewhere else all the better. That means I don't have to mess with it dragging it off. I don't like touching them or my equipment touching them. They leave a smell on everything that stinks!
I agree, or pass a pass through with enough velocity to endanger something else.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Can I have your brass?
No! If I cannot find any factory I reload them. If I start getting thousands of them we'll talk. The last 100 I loaded lasted me 6 months, but I do not shoot as much as some here do. Or should I say I don't miss as much or shoot dirt clods for fun. lol

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was wondering how long it would take for you to tell me no.