120 SST

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Quick question. I roll my own and use a 12" 6.8 barrel. I've been shooting the 95g TTSX at 2688fps. Pretty hot I know but my pigs are not dropping on the spot like I see in many of the videos. Now I will agree I'm not the best at shot placement and especially so using thermal. That being said, will the 120 SST bullet have enough speed out of a 12" bbl to kill properly and is this the bullet I want or is there something else I should try. I'm wholly unsatisfied with the Barnes. The Big boars I've shot seem to all have pass thru's. Pencil hole in and out.

I will say the Barnes has worked great on the few coyotes I've hit. All bang flop with very minor damage

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is why TLM went back to the 16" 6.8 barrel even with the 120SST

my 8.5" 6.8 shoots factory 120SST at 100-125 and brings the hogs down OK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 120sst outperformed the 95gr ttsx and 85gr tsx in my 12.7" The Barnes bullets work great in my Blackout and in my .308 their 6.8 pills left me wanting more.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I killed several of the bigger ( 266lbs,277lbs,225lbs,etc.) using the factory 120gr SST's coming out of a 10.5",1:10 twist 6.8.
I believe that the 120's WILL loose their jacket. So if you can live with that,they are good to go. I also believe that using them in the faster twist guns will make them open faster and kill better. I also believe that there is a "sweet spot" for speed. Too fast or too slow will degrade the proper expansion. --- pruhdlr

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anyone happen to know what the minimum velocity is for the 120 sst to work properly? I haven't been able to find anything

D

djones

i've searchd high and low to find a bullet that makes the 6.8 kill like a 308. it ain't out there. nothing even close. probably something that suits niche weapons like SBRs better than others, but they will all fail more times than we'd like.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Who Cares, I would think 1500-1600, that is 400yards with a 16" barrel

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have never seen speeds like that before. Be careful, That being said you might be losing some with that much behind it. Those are really HOT loads fo sure. Read an article but forgot where it was. I will continue to look for it and to answer your question yes from what I read. They/he tested from 10.5 to 16 or 18 and posted results. Then there is TLM words of wisdom above!!:) BANG BANG!!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
120sst is my go to bullet for hogs. I (briefly) tried the 95ttsx and 90gd but the sst seemed to perform better for me. Shooting factory loads, which I haven't chrony'd, have dropped hogs out to 275yds from 12.5"*** barrel with correct (read lucky) bullet placement.

Not sure what the maximum distance is an sst will open at, but I don't see myself shooting farther than 300yd with thermal at night (most shots inside 100yd) so that is pretty much a non-issue for me.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I get around 2400 fps with hand loaded 120 sst fro a 12.5" barrel using AA2200. It works well, but the same load from a 16" hits a lot harder. I've had 100 pound pigs take 3-4 shots and 275 pounders only take 1 and vice versa. Just depends on the hog sometimes.

I didn't have a lot of luck with the 95 grain and under Barnes or 90 grain gold dot. The 110 TSX performed ok, but are double the price of the sst. You could look into the cavity back bullets, but I don't have first hand experience with them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
dirtydawg changes guns more often than he changes his underwear.
unlike SOME here^^^, that never change underwear!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Talked to a guy awhile back that uses the 120gr SST's coming out of a 270Win bolt gun,max fast,on coyotes over in Ala. Where he hunts there is always the potential to see a hog. He sez he likes the B.C. of the bullet at speed,and he is not interested in pelt damage.
He told me that the bullet does "massive damage" at 3100fps. --- pruhdlr

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Talked to a guy awhile back that uses the 120gr SST's coming out of a 270Win bolt gun,max fast,on coyotes over in Ala. Where he hunts there is always the potential to see a hog. He sez he likes the B.C. of the bullet at speed,and he is not interested in pelt damage.
He told me that the bullet does "massive damage" at 3100fps. --- pruhdlr
Wow I bet it does judging by some of the 6.8 damage I've seen.

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just picked up two boxes of Cutting Edge Raptors - 6.8, 82g thick skin bullets to try, anyone have experience with these they would care to share?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i've searchd high and low to find a bullet that makes the 6.8 kill like a 308. it ain't out there. nothing even close. probably something that suits niche weapons like SBRs better than others, but they will all fail more times than we'd like.
120sst and cavity back 120mkz both work very well and are very close to what I've seen from a .308 but definitely not a .308.

DJ even with a .308 you have to hit the target first.

WhoCares if I was doing sbr I think it would be 300bo or 7.62x39 over the 6.8 and I am a big fan of the 6.8, but it does best with 16"

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
82 gr 6.8? darn that is too light for me, let us hear what they do!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DR, I shoot factory and have so many different loads and grains it is embarrassing