12 ga Pump Shotguns

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Back in the day, when I was in the market for one, the top dog was the Remington 870. The Winchester 1200 was only bettered by the number of LEO agencies using the Remmie. There was also an upstart called a Mossberg. I snagged a "can't pass it up" deal on a Winchester 1200 Police (never regretted my purchase).

Fast forward a couple (plus) decades. Freedom Group started shaking things up, buying up competitor brands, moving manufacturing locations, etc. Quality control issues reared their ugly heads and Remington has struggled to recover reputation lost.

Has Remington's whoas rebounded enough to regain #1 spot (or contender status) with their 870? They used to be desired for the ability to change barrels for varied uses (home defense/bird hunting/deer hunting, etc).

My reason for asking, is... a buddy of mine is looking for a home defense scattergun and asked about the Mossberg 500 Flex. I told him I'd ask around. From their web site, it appears they're doing a pretty good job of offering a variety of options. I'm not seeing mention of whether these are 2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2"... or, whether there are still varied choices being offered these days. I'm kind of "out of the loop" on these.

For me... I'm quite happy with my Winchester 1200 Police 18" Stainless for anti-varmint (of the two-legged variety), and my Winchester 1500 XTR for terrorizing feathered types.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I, too, started my LE career with the 870. Never had any trouble. Nowadays I keep my Remington model 11 loaded and ready for social occasions. I had the barrel cut down and carried it for a number of years too.
But I have 3 Mossberg 500’s. 1 in .410 with a short ( 18 inch ) barrel for snakes and 2 in 20 gauge. One is my wife’s home defense weapon and the other we use for what little bird hunting we do. I like them. No issues with any of them. The wood isn’t as pretty as the old Remington’s but they function very well and without fail. But what do I know? I’ve also got a Winchester model 97 ready to go too !

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm a bit of a fan of the older stuff myself. Craftsmanship isn't at the same priority level as it once was. Actions don't always have that butter-smooth feel to them these days. Wood furniture isn't fitted like it used to be...

Good to hear good report of the Mossies.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a relatively new (5 or 6 years old) 870 that I use fairly often. I have two barrels: 26" vent rib with winchokes and 18" with iron sights. This was the "express" model which means "no frills", but it came with a decent looking laminated stock. None of them come with any nice wood anymore but function is still acceptable for a "cheap" shotgun. Mine had an issue where it functioned about 95 percent of the time and for no reason, it would misfire. A good friend is a gunsmith and when I told him about it, he looked and discovered that the shoulder of the firing pin would occasionally hit the back of the bolt block keeping it from contacting the primer. He relieved the back of the block enough to keep it from interfering with the firing pin and it hasn't had a misfire since. The action isn't anything like the 870 Wingmaster .410 that I have, but I didn't expect it to be a Wingmaster for under $300. Oh, mine is a 3" chamber that shoots 2 3/4" just fine. The 870 Magnum has a 3 1/2" chamber.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry to hear that... no defensive weapon should need "fitting" (by the end user, or his gunsmith after the sale). Nice to hear it was a relatively simple repair to gain the reliability.

Yup, my Win 1200 is 3" also, and shoots 2 3/4" just fine. I really appreciate that option when ammo availability may be an issue.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It was a little frustrating, but not totally unexpected considering the less than stellar reputation of the Remi's of late and the price point. I didn't buy it as a defensive weapon, but more as a "throw it in the bottom of the swamp boat and use it as a back up paddle" kind of gun. I replaced the stock with a Blackhawk adjustable camo stock and it has accounted for quite a few various critters. I have a short barrel Ithaca Mod 37 with the plug removed for a HD gun.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... I just got off the phone with him. He called to cuss at me for turning him on to Vedder Holsters... he's dumped a bunch of cash on gun belts and holsters. He's also been eyeballing the 870 express for $250. I'm trying to steer him towards an older LGS that may have a 60s or 70s vintage 870 for a little more money than that. I told him to feel the action of the older ones and THEN go fondle a new one. LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Funny that you should post this. Someone else on 68forums posted in my thread there... about their Maverick, which they added the OPSOL TX device to it, just so they could use that ammunition with no reliability/loading issues. It's made only for the Mossberg.

Well... I just brought home that exact Shockwave model! I have the Crimson Trace laser saddle on order for it, as well as a Tac Star 6 round side saddle. Being the longer tube holder, I believe I'll be able to hold 12 rounds of that luscious short-$hit ammo, with 8 in the tube and one chambered. I had NO intentions of my day taking this path (this morning) LOL.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-p...r-inserts/opsol-mini-clip-2-0-prod113616.aspx

JoeBob's Outfitters had the adapter in stock, and has both slugs and buck loads from Federal in stock... I got enough to qualify for the free shipping.

She's gonna be ready to dance after the boxes arrive.

Chambered for 2 3/4" and 3", it's ready for bear protection duty. Insert the adapter (no tools needed) in seconds and it'll reliably feed the Short-$hit loads for home defense duties without tearing through ALL of the walls. LOL I see that Mossberg will be pairing up with Crimson Trace to offer one already equipped with the laser. Mine should be here in the morning.

Mine is just a little different than yours. There's no mold seam on my fore end, they must've changed tooling. The strap now has "Mossberg" embroidered on it. And, mine comes with a swivel stud on the very butt of the bird's head grip, and one on the end of the tube cap.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This afternoon, the "Tac Star Side Saddle" (6rd) shot shell carrier arrived. Early this morning, the Crimson Trace LS-250 laser site arrived, along with the Raptor Tape kit (pre-cut) for the birds head grip. The tape comes recommended by folks who have put the 3" magnum slugs through and didn't have a firm grip with their shooting hand. The weapon tends to slide back in the hand and the web between thumb and fore finger jams up beneath the trailing edge of the safety (Mossberg's is on top)... and, draws blood. I also received the laser bore sight round for the 12 ga. I will now be able to zero the laser at a chosen distance to marry up to the laser from the bore.

The tape goes on well, rubbing alcohol to pre-clean the surface of the grip. The grip IS rather smooth and slick. It's more of a polymer, not rubberized.

I suspected (and was correct) that installation of the side saddle and laser would need to be done in tandem. They each utilize a common hole in the receiver to anchor to the receiver. An OEM pin is pushed through and replaced with a screw. It anchors the laser on the ejection port side, the saddle mounts to the other side. The instructions for each are pretty straight forward, all needed pieces are included (and accounted for), including allen wrenches. Only other tools needed was a slotted screw driver. Tiny dabs of Blue Loctite are your friend for the threads. I found that the screw with the side saddle kit worked great for installing both units, the included pin (bushing) and screws which came with the laser were not needed. No issues for screw length either. Batteries installed, and the laser functions as it should. One thing I really like about the LS-250 is, there are three pressure switches to activate the laser (there is also a master on/off power switch). This enables easy use for left/right hand shooters. It's a well thought out design. The Mossberg safety location also favors ambidextrous use. The housing for the LS-250 also encircles the safety, giving one more layer of protection to the user's hand if it slips under recoil. Another plus for the LS-250, included with it is a filler piece to go between the receiver and laser unit for use/installation on the 20 ga as well (which has a narrower receiver).

I have both, Federal and Aquilla loads coming (slugs and various shot) in the 1 3/4" size, as well as the OPSol Tx adapter unit.

I still need to pick out a sling for this... and, have been eyeballing a "case" for it. I need something discreet for hauling this thing around (if/when I choose to). Being part of the "Sheep Dog" team at church, and in light of the recent stupidity displayed by individuals... I'm eyeballing a case, shaped like a violin case with pre-cut foam inserts to nestle this puppy in, as well as 59 rds. of ammo, and a spare sidearm to go in it as well. It locks too. I warned the pastor today, if he sees me carrying a fiddle case around... to worry (LOL)... his reply was "Or, feel safer." I pray I never have to "fiddle around" in church. Would be my version of the Chicago typewriter. LOL

I've heard that Mossberg and Crimson Trace might offer a version of this Shockwave with the laser included. The installation looks factory and married nicely with the side saddle. I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of the goodies so I can take this out and prove it. The Winchester 1200 Police will remain at the ready with the full size shells.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My OPSol Mini-Clip arrived today, along with my Federal offerings of 1 3/4" loads... both slug and #4 buck. Great fit, and reliable feed of these loads. Happy camper.

I also ordered a GG&G flashlight mount which is held in place with the magazine tube end cap. Flashlight also mounted onto its little pic rail.

The rest of my ammo order arrives Saturday. Also on order, my "violin case" (Made by Peak Case). This is gonna be pretty slick. Two levels, bottom level for a pair of sidearms and mags. Upper level for the Shockwave and 59 rounds of 12 ga ammo. The case looks pretty non-descript on the outside, the inner foam layers are cut to fit the Shockwave, and it locks. That'll be arriving in just over a week. This is turning out to be a very sweet rig. I'll see about a couple of pix to be taken tomorrow when the light is "more gooder".

8 in the tube and 12 in the side-saddle. Flashlight, laser, and side-saddle... just the essentials.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The flashlight comes with a remote switch via a coiled cord. Managed to route it and secure it with four zip-ties (switch) to the fore end and flashlight mount. Should not put any pressure on the wiring while racking the slide. The switch has two functions, momentary (pressure) and on/off. About 1200 lumens, and is a clone to a Marmot. Comes with two 18650 rechargeable batteries and a quick charger. The violin case arrives Monday afternoon. Pix might have to wait until then.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
1200 Lumens! You won't need to shoot anybody. The flashlight alone should be able to knock down a military grade drone!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
1200 Lumens! You won't need to shoot anybody. The flashlight alone should be able to knock down a military grade drone!
And, it's only $33 on Amazon. We'll see if it's durable too. LOL

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
I'm a day late and a dollar short to this thread, but far be it for me to pass on an opportunity to bludgeon somebody with my rather worthless opinions.

I started bird hunting as soon as I was of legal age with various 870 Wingmasters. I've never had a problem with any if them...but they are all 30+ year old shotguns now, and Remington is a different beast.

I took a number of Mossberg 590A1 scatterguns on deployments, and from time to time, carried them. I've never had a problem with those either...and those guns were far more abused.

If your pockets are deep, Benelli M4 (carried one of those too). I'd run a Beretta or FN after that. For the more budget-friendly choice I'd go Mossberg, but that is because I have experience with them in a hostile environment. Still, a Remmy that has been thoroughly *tested is a good option. I'd stake my life on those too.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
OpSol installed and my aftermarket safety. I dalso indtalled a bright red aluminum mag follower
To break in my gun I fired two 3" "000" buck and about 60 2 3/4" "00" buck. Then about 60 Aguila MiniShells in 7.5shot and buck. My weapon hates the Aguila slugs.
IMO the safety will not bite you if the weapon is held properly.
I have removed the fwd and aft swivel stud. My gun will hold and extra MiniShell with the fwd stud removed and the short follower. --- pruhdlrView attachment 7735 View attachment 7736 View attachment 7735 View attachment 7736 View attachment 7735 View attachment 7736 View attachment 7735 View attachment 7736

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Pics

Attachments

• 20170718_100559.jpg
    20170718_100559.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170715_120821.jpg
    20170715_120821.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170715_120545.jpg
    20170715_120545.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 7

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need to bust out the camera. Violin Case is sweet. Lower level holds two sidearms, at least 7 mags, and some other stuff I'm going to be stashing in there. The upper level holds the Shockwave, 59 shells, and a reusable desiccant. It's very non-descript hauling it around. I likes it. Ready to make music.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What I consider another plus for the 590 system is the botton eject and load. Easy to load with gloves on. The Remingtons always seem to grab the thumb of my glove.
Also,as stated above,at night and with gloves,the Moss safety is much easier to find and manipulate than the Rem.
I have about 300rds thru my gun now and still going strong. I have a scope rail for it and thinking of adding a green laser for easier targeting. --- SAWMAN

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is how I carry my gun. The two pouches on the front of the weapon holster can be easily removed to pocket or pack carry. They are loaded with 2.75' shells now but can be switched to Mini Shells.
The holster has a sling attached to carry across the shoulder.
Fairly compact package and as light or heavy as you choose to make it depending on ammo carried. However NOT concealable. --- SAWMAN 20200305_072236.jpg